Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Aptos , California
Is there a reason for the smaller tanks in 28s

Is it possible to install a larger water tank in a 28 ccd? Or is there a structural reason that the 30 has a larger water tank? It seems like it should be possible to fit an additional tank somewhere and link the two together at least. I'm still trying to figure out the best trailer for my family and I like the floor plan of the 28s.
Dave

Old 04-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Ahhh, tank size. No matter what size tank is installed in a trailer (or boat) there is always somebody who wants more, be it fresh water, black, grey, fuel it makes no difference.

I think that basically we are all spoiled living in a society where we can run the water we want at any time while at home. No real effort to conserve is really necessary for most of us. Then we get the idea that we want to live in an Airstream and that little thought happens..."wouldn't it be nice if.....", after all more is better right?

Don't misunderstand my ramblings, I want more too! We have just 23 gallons of fresh water and 22 of combined grey/black water in our trailer. Believe me I have spent hours trying to find a clever way to add more storage. What I have decided is that conservation, an external 25 gallon "poop tank" on wheels and an adventurous attitude will suffice for us. We have done it before while sailing and we can continue to do it now in the trailer. I am leaving the tank systems as designed by Airstream alone. It is our attitude that needed to be modified!

I'd suggest that if the 28' trailer does it for you in every other way then that is the one you should purchase. You'll learn how to live within the constraints of its systems with practice....

Bruce

Old 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Hi farmerdave, if a person had the luxury of making a side-by-side comparison, "in the flesh", so to speak, between the 28' and 30', the differences would become more apparent; it's remarkable how well they utilized the additional 3'. (Your challenge would be finding a dealer who happens to have both floorplans in stock for your inspection...in my way of thinking, it would be well worth a trip to one of the larger dealerships).

Since you have a particular concern about water, you'll be pleased to learn that in both of those floorplans, the lavatory sink drains into the black tank, which will contribute to a more balanced accumulation of waste water when dry camping.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Ahhh, tank size. No matter what size tank is installed in a trailer (or boat) there is always somebody who wants more, be it fresh water, black, grey, fuel it makes no difference.

I think that basically we are all spoiled living in a society where we can run the water we want at any time while at home. No real effort to conserve is really necessary for most of us. Then we get the idea that we want to live in an Airstream and that little thought happens..."wouldn't it be nice if.....", after all more is better right?

Don't misunderstand my ramblings, I want more too! We have just 23 gallons of fresh water and 22 of combined grey/black water in our trailer. Believe me I have spent hours trying to find a clever way to add more storage. What I have decided is that conservation, an external 25 gallon "poop tank" on wheels and an adventurous attitude will suffice for us. We have done it before while sailing and we can continue to do it now in the trailer. I am leaving the tank systems as designed by Airstream alone. It is our attitude that needed to be modified!

I'd suggest that if the 28' trailer does it for you in every other way then that is the one you should purchase. You'll learn how to live within the constraints of its systems with practice....

Bruce
Well said, Bruce. It was quite a revelation last year having to live within the limitations of the tanks on our Airstream; not that our tanks are small but they are finite. We very quickly became proficient at water conservation, which has to be good, and we're bringing some of those techniques into the home to save water and waste water; it's not just environmentally friendly but on a metered water system, it saves money as well.

As our grey and black tanks are similar sizes, we've taken to putting dish washing water down the toilet to spread the load a little; a little extra soapy liquid in there really helps get those solids broken down. Of course, dish washing in a bowl helps, too, because you use a lot less water than filling the sink, although finding a dedicated dish washing bowl in North America isn't easy; I nearly had to get my mum to send one over from England!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote