Old 10-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg hed View Post
Msmoto,

Is this what you're talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-182-20.../dp/B000N9VF6Q

And how does this work? I'm interested in hearing from people that have used this and if it has solved noisy pump issues.

Thanks
The standard pump from Airstream is a piece of crap. It is noisy no matter how you mount or even if you use the accumulator. At least, mine was.

I replaced it with the ShurFlo Revolution and never looked back. It is a bypass pump and runs much quieter, has more pressure, and pumps at a higher volume.

If you mount it on carpet and insulate some of the pipes you can still hear it run but it is many times quieter.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
The standard pump from Airstream is a piece of crap. It is noisy no matter how you mount or even if you use the accumulator. At least, mine was.

I replaced it with the ShurFlo Revolution and never looked back. It is a bypass pump and runs much quieter, has more pressure, and pumps at a higher volume.

If you mount it on carpet and insulate some of the pipes you can still hear it run but it is many times quieter.
Which one, there seems to be a few different models called Revolution.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:43 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
1995 21' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Thanks for starting this thread, VegHead.

In my 2015 16' Sport I was shocked by how loud the water pump was. I quickly discovered that it had been installed so that it was in direct contact with the fresh water tank. This means that whenever it comes on it bangs agains the side of the tank like a big drum! I moved it over a bit and padded it with some foam, which has helped, but I agree with RVDreamer, it's still ridiculously loud.

I'm shopping for something quieter and would also be very interested in which model of the Shurflo Revolution you got. Thanks!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:03 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I have a new (5 months old) Flying Cloud and we have tried the water pump once. It came one every single time we opened a faucet and the noise was not pleasant. Since we were at a camp that had a few water sources to fill your buckets, we were supposed to use our water pump. Since it was late in the season and I was close to the water source, I simply attached a "Y" and ran two hoses from one end to my rig, thus eliminating the need for the water pump while still allowing others to use the water source. Fortunately, there were no campers nearby so it never became an issue. Strangely, everyone else in the camp was doing the same thing. If I were to do more dry camping, I might look into some of the suggestions above since the pump is noisy.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We find the Shur Flo pumps to be very inconsistent in noise level. Some are quite good and others are terrible. On about half of the Airstreams we deliver we change the pump to a Flojet Quad valve pump. This pump is much quieter. It also has a bypass valve in it so at partial water flows the pump runs continuously and delivers smooth pressure output. It is by far the easiest fix for a loud pump.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our 2015 was extremely loud. Our dealer under warranty raised the pump up off the floor a bit and onto rubber mounts and then used pipe insulation to isolate the water lines from the wheel wells where they were rubbing up against the aluminum there. Its a very cheap and easy fix for a DIY

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote