Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Increase Fresh water capacity on 345 Moho

Hello!
Maybe you know about us from the "The adventures of Bangles in Europe" thread?!
We use here in Gernany our 345 classic motorhome ("Bangles") as our Hotel often for shows and markets we attend.
As i can tell you, Germany may be "great"🇩🇪👍, but we have lousy or no RV parks for bigger moho's!
Hook up is unknown, maybe you get AC 220V, never Water or sewer.
That's my challenge:
If i am alone, i can dry camp 6 / 7 days with one fill/drain max. (daily shower, few uses of restroom, not often dishwashing.)
If we travel as a couple, we're "dry" after 4 days max.
I want to increase the freshwater capacity, because of the "hazzle" to refill every 4 days. (very often i beed to" bagger" for water...!
BUT HOW???
I am not sure WHERE to place additional 30 - 50 gallons, nor HOW.
I allready made a bigger drawer under our bed (east/west queen), to gain storage we need, the wasted space under bed is used for an additional drawer i made for "what ever".
Any ideas???
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If you manage to put in 50 extra gallons, you will be creating another problem, grey and even black tank shortage of space. Find a way to reduce amount of fresh water used, pressure reduction, limiting flow from shower head and other water faucets, limit dish washing eat out more or get paper plates.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquefort View Post
I am not sure WHERE to place additional 30 - 50 gallons, nor HOW.
Carrying extra water also means carrying extra weight. There aren't many locations in your motorhome where you could add that much weight.

One easy possibility is the trailer hitch receiver. You can carry up to about 50 gallons of water on a cargo tray, preferably in row of 5-gallon cans, without exceeding your weight capacity. By using multiple smaller containers, you can ensure that the water does not slosh and shift around as you're driving.

You'd have to transfer the water to the fresh tank in order to use it in your motorhome, and it wouldn't be practical for winter camping in freezing temperatures. But for something fast and simple, that's about as fast and simple as you can get.

You can get a tray that folds up against the back of the motorhome when not in use, to save space. Or there's an interesting model that also converts to a hand cart for moving heavy loads (pictured).

For the water, Rotopax containers work well. Get the blue ones, since blue is the color code for water. They're available in different sizes, so you can find a size that's not only easy to handle but also fits the cargo tray you select.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roquefort View Post

(daily shower,
Any ideas???
That maybe your problem right there......I hope they are Navy showers???

As a PP has talked about, what goes in, must come out; I would be worried about overfilling the black or grey tanks and having a mess. Also a gallon of water weighs 3.79 KG's, so another 50 on top of the 60 gallon capacity you have already have, and you have 416.9 kg's of water, not including if you refill and still have fluid in black and grey tanks. That is a ton of weight on the frame and behind the rear axles.

One idea which I have done is using 5 gallon refillable water jugs with a seperate pump for drinking water use. I had enough space under the sink to have two jugs (10 gallons) with its own pumping system. The water is pure and not prone to getting stale.

This place sells EURO Volt style pumps as well. I bought one of the last 12v systems.

http://store.samsonjuicers.com/floje...stem-p515.aspx

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-...ispensers.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03305.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	257464  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:17 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grefrath/ Germany , NRW
Thank you for all your ideas, the outer canisters look great, but still in need to fill into maintank...!
Also, it is not permitted to increase hitchloads more than 100kg....! (🇩🇪&#128556
I really love the idea, to eat outside 👍😜🍴
We iften do the "american way of life" on the road and use paperboards and throable cuttlery.
To make it clear, i do not want to travel a lot with a full tank of water, we never do. Just when parked for a few days in the same spot during tradeshows or markets. Then we fill up full and live self contained.
The problem of "get rid of waste" is not such a big challlenge too.
We can keep the far to big (in my opinion) sewer holding tank for about 10 days easily, we use a sort of organic stuff (aquakem green), no bad smell, if toilet is used as "emergency" by night only.
The grey water tank can be drained simply with a little hose, i use a conector to the Valtera cap.
While there is just "old" water, without chemicals, i can drain it legal in any roadside without problems.
The main challenge is really "having water to use IN STOCK". Mainly ti shower and wash ourself.
In our cabinet is a possible space, we never used the safe there?!
Just need to know, HOW to conect?!
Roquefort is offline   Reply With Quote