Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #1

1975 25' Caravanner
calgary , Alberta
in the dust

we have a 1975 land yahat 25 ft. we took it on gravel road and filled it up wiyh dustWe think its comming from under the wheel wells.Any suggestions? Also bathroom smells very musty we have tryed bleach also c.i.l but still smellsOne more ? theres a small white plastic tube under the trailor where the sewer drain comes out it has just started leaking could someone tell me what this is and why the water driping out of it smells mustysorry for slaming u all with so mant ?s so soon but were new at this airstream thing. Thank-you all kindly
mcjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Welcome!! and...

Hi there! Welcome to the forums, we love new members, and really love pics!!! The dust might be comming in from the wheelwells, they are lined with a poly inner wheelwell, look there first. I am asuming that all windows and doors were shut in transit, there might be other areas that could leak dust, but not to a great degree. In the bath look behind the sink area from inside the cabinet, the rear area on these are prone to leak (sorry) and maybe you have some rotten floor. I'm guessing on the water, it's either the city hook up or the discharge, niether should leak when closing properly, a cap goes on the inlet and a spring loaded dump valve closes the discharge. As for musty water smell. if it was left in the lines and it sat, you'll need to run it a while to clear it, others might chime in with a cleaning solution. Good luck!! MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
If you have an outside battery compartment take the battery out and look for cracks in the plastic the forms the inside of the compartment. I had a 79 31 footer that that happened to. It would fill with dust and smell like exhaust, the battery was in the front on the one I had.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I owned an 87 model a while back and it had a couple of white tubes coming out of the underside. Those were drain tubes for the fresh water system (one cold and one hot water. That tube probably has a valve inside the trailer that opens or closes the drain tube. If the valve is broken or just not closed the whole way and it is draining water from the pipes inside the trailer. Does your water pump stop running the fresh water in the sink, if not then it's the fresh water drain tube and you need to locate the valve to determine if it's broken or just left open a hair. Those valves should be closed all of the time except when draining the water pipes.

Another thought, do you know where the drain is located for the A/C unit? Since you said musty smell, it sounds like it could be the A/C drain tube. Usually, that tube is black or clear and should be dripping if you are using the air conditioner.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Get a drop of the leak water on your finger tip. Taste it. We can narrow the problem down from there.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
It is likely:
1. The wheel well liners have rusted/corroded through allowing dust under wind pressure to be forced into the trailer's interior.
2. You have a leak in one or both holding tanks or one of the drain lines to the holding tanks. Probably from freeze damage to a P-trap or an elbow, or a tank itself.
3. The seams and plumbing vents have not been consistently re-sealed though the years, and you have some floor rot from the resulting moisture penetration making things smell musty.
4. The same moisture has saturated the insulation in places between the inner and outer shell making things smell musty.
All these conditions vintage Airstreams I have owned.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote