Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Images of New Plumbing for 1986 Center Bath using PEX

I noticed several folks recommend using PEX for plumbing, I though I would post pictures of my assembly. As a DIY have used Wirsbo Aquapex tubing and fittings for several years, sometimes call Propex. There are other pex methods this method uses a PEX ring over the tubing to add clamping strength an expansion tool stretches the end so the fitting can be slipped on. Other methods use a crimping ring, which you likely have from the factory plumbing job. Shark-bite is the newest idea, I prefer a good strong crimp to the slip fit shark-bite.

Here are three pictures, locations: under the rear bed water heater, bypass circuit and city input water (I moved the city input water from the rear frame to next to the water heater).

Next location is under the bathroom sink, three pex lines run under the floor to this location, 3/4" PEX runs from the pump to the Water Heater, then multi port manifolds provide 4 cold water lines and 2 hot water lines. There is an extra port for a bladder tank. Note all fixture will have an angle stop valve.

The last location is the kitchen sink, water pump. The pump can be serviced from under the kitchen sink, previous location was in the closet. The heater lines are temporarily moved. A third 1/2" line that traverses the floor has been added to support future changes; one idea is to add a Hot Water circulation pump, to save on water usage. I see the cleaning crew wants to move in so I got to remove my tools and help clean up.

sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you for sharing this. I have a newbie question that is kind of related. When connected to 'city' water, is the water pump what keeps the city water from running into your freshwater tank and eventually over filling it, or is there some sort of 1 way valve that performs that function?
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
DDOK

There is a valve on the output of the water pump which prevents the city water from flowing into the fresh water tank.

Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Tulsa , Oklahoma
That makes sense. Thanks Dennis !
DDOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
And the converse which is the pumped water running out the city connection.

There is a one-way (check valve) after the regulator that keeps this from happening.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Opelika , Alabama
Am I reading this right? Are you saying that hooking up to city water does not fill up the freshwater tank? I can't seem to get my freshwater tank/pump system to work. How does the freshwater tank get filled then? Thanks.
racecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Typically there is a tank fill port somewhere on the side of the trailer that looks like a small door with a key lock.

Inside is a plastic cap that comes off and you put a drinking water hose into the opening and fill up the tank. On my AS its on the street side about middle. It also has a small vent that lets air out of the tank as you fill it. The hose fits loosely into the opening. If water comes out the vent or around the hose as you are filling it, the tank is full to the top.

Most AS do not have a way to fill fresh water tank from the city water connection on the trailer that you screw a hose into. Some have an internal valve that allows filling the tank.....or overfilling it. Mine does not have a fill valve.

Note: some AS have a 'black tank flush' connection that hooks to a sprayer inside the black sewer tank. It is used only to help clean the tank. Accidentally connecting a hose to that fitting and letting it run unattended will fill the sewer tank with water, possibly overflow the toilet, or spew sewage out the tank roof vent. Not fun......

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote