Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Bessie,

Do you mean the fittings on the shower valve itself? Those might not unscrew from the PVC pipe. The shower valve should have a cover plate that you can remove from the interior of the shower. Once the plate is off, you should be able to see how the valve is attached to the shower wall or the trailer wall. The simplest thing might be to cut the PVC pipe and remove the shower valve. Then you can unscrew the pieces of PVC pipe attached to the valve, install new PVC pipe, and re-install the whole assembly inside the wall.

Another option might be to approach it from the other side if you can. What’s behind the shower valve area? Is it a closet that you can cut an access hatch into?

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Can't find the instructions for the shower fixture. I assume the 97' Airstream used Moen in there also. So from the front, my husband doesn't know how to get the knob and flange off. When he tries to wrench off the fittings, the fiberglass just doesn't have the strength to resist the force. There is no closet, just the skin of the trailer.
\How come there is no insulation back there? Just curious.............
So now he is looking to tear out the whole shower thing and fashion it back.
Any idea what model faucet was used in 97' Airstreams?
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Is this a single handle valve? If yes, look for a cap in the center of the valve handle. Pry this off, and you should expose a screw. Remove the screw and the handle will pull off. The cover plate may be held in place with a threaded ring that's directly behind or even under the handle. It should only be finger tight or so, and should also screw off the valve. Then the cover plate should come off.

Another option is that the cover plate is attached to the valve body and will not remove. In that case, the cover plate would be held to the shower with a couple of screws. The screws may be behind small caps as well.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Oh well,
no way to pry anything off the handle. Solid.
Thanx
Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Can't get the screw out off the plate because the knob is in the way. Sheesh!!!!!!!!! Not even a hex wrench screw to be found.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
continued...........
It took a razor running it around the top of the knob and finally found a very slight indentation and WHAHLAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! The knob is off.......
Now on with the soap opera...................
Old 07-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Your hubby must be loving this! Maybe you can post a few (stealth) pics of him contorted into a pretzel, stuffed beneath the toilet? Or with his arm stuck back behind the shower trying to undo a pipe with no room or leverage(and maybe the wrong pipe). I would pay to see someone else in that predicament, now that I've been there.

Cheers!
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Ahhh!
Thank you Viking!!!!!! My husband loved that pat on the back from you. I had the trailer looking good and spiffy ready for its next trip, but now it is all torn up with tools everywhere!!!!!!!!! There's a good shot for a pic there. The toilet is in the shower and oh boy!!!!!!! He says when he puts it back together, he will improve upon it from this ordeal to make it more accessible. But slowly the leaks are getting taken care of as bit by bit we are getting very knowledgeable about the complexities that go into a self contained travel trailer.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
I think, I think, it may be done.....

My husband was getting so hooked on finding leaks he would say I need a leak fix, turn the water on.
Sooooooooo........... There are now no leaks. Fired up the water heater and all looks like it is functioning. The interesting thing here, with everything not tidied up and wide open, that water pump sounds atrocious!!!!!!! So I wonder if once everything is put back in place if it will go back to being a quieter obnoxious sound.
The other thing, did my kitchen faucet always run that pathetic? I can't remember.
We put in a new faucet in the lavatory some time ago, I didn't like that ball faucet and that works great too.
It was funny, my husband was all set to hook the trailer up and run it in to wash it down. Well......... Gee hubby, the trailer is far from secured, I think you better put it back together before you haul it anywhere. The couch is piled high with the drawers and dishes from under the sink, the toilet is still next to the door. The bed is propped up, the shower wall and door is leaning against the refrigerator, a bucket full of all kinds of stuff in the middle of the floor. So I don't think he is heading anywhere that soon.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'll bet good money that your husband will winterize this year! And you'll make double sure he does it!

Kay
Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
You betcha!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #32
Rivet Master

You should remove the screen filters from all faucets and make sure they are clean. Working on the plumbing sometimes causes stuff to get caught in these filters and slow your water flow.
Good news on the lack of leaks.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Yes,
That is always what I check first is the screens especially when we have so much grit in our water. So I found the instructions to get into the faucet from the top.
My husband pretty much cleaned the trailer, pretty much and asked me if I had looked at it. So everything is screwed back into place for easier access. But I did notice now the nozzle spray on the toilet doesn't do the nozzle thing. Couldn't screw that off to check.
The trailer even went in for a bath today. And of course hubby didn't put the vent down. Caught hm as he was leaving the yard. He didn't think it was a big deal just going into town. Well.......... the wind was starting to pick up so you never know. Asked him if he wanted to keep the projects coming.
I am now thinking of our first outing this year, with a fully functioning trailer...........
Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
We had a real winter up here this year too. Some years are so mild but this one, I was watching some drillers trying to thaw out a big drill rig up in Reno, every tank, pipe, valve was frozen SOLID, early in Dec.
It seems that A/S stands up the plumbing, then builds the stream tight around the plumbing with no way to get to the stuff. Good luck.

and Hey, BM is coming up, that was my first trip with the Silver Dragon up to Black Rock City.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Glory Hallelujah!!!!!!

Went in to the kitchen faucet from the top, just started trying to dismantle it and didn't get too far, pulled the pin up and squirted all around and that was as far as my hubby was willing to go. Soooooo....... dang! Put it back together and what do you know? It runs great!!!!!!! So it just had trapped grit and just like a dismantle and flush. Yippeeeeee!!!!! So now to plan for the first get away!!!!!
Decisions, decisions.........
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Bet he winterizes nest year.LOL
I busted a couple of my copper pipes. Had to pull the shower out which was connected to the rest of the bathroom so it all came out.
So I get a bathroom make over.
Good luck and it sounds like you are making progress no better way to get know your Airstream.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
shower hand held hose

I see the PO of my trailer removed the shower hand held hose as a part of winterizing. Is this a common practice among other owners? I'm not sure I'd have thought of doing it.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:37 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Yeah... I did exactly the same thing. Trailer was left in Reno, and I didn't get to winterize, so a big job is planned before she heads out to Burning Man. Not sure how hard it's going to be but it has to be done.

Y
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Get to work for BM

You better start looking at those pipes now. Hubby said the parts were cheaper at Lowes than Home Depot by plenty. Just to let you know.
Don't know about the shower head since we are newbies learning the hard way.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Thank you. There's a Lowes not too far from where she is stored. That and getting her ready for the Playa in two days? Hmmmm

Y
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote