Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
How to drain the fresh water tank

My 2005 30 Classic has two drain petcocks between the curb side wheels. I open both and the water drains.

Here is the question. If I turn off the water pump, the water does not drain, or slows to a drip, but with the pump running out it comes, is this normal?

Thanks in advance for you comments.
rpenczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Those are the low point drains. They are on the trailer side of the pump to drain the hot and cold water lines. On my trailer, 2002 Classic 30, and on my previous Safari 25, the tank drain is up higher on the frame rail behind the curbside front wheel. If it hasn't been changed it is a gray plastic petcock. Turn the lever to the front to open, to the rear to close.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
I've looked and looked, but no other "drains" on my tank. I have the two petcocks on the bottom of the tank, and I can see the access door for the other low point drain (but it's caulked shut). I can see, on the side of the tank on the same side of the coach (curb) as the petcocks and the access door something that looks broken off a sealed (almost like a bad weld).

I'll assume using the petcocks to drain the tank is still OK until I get the drain fitting fixed (going to JC at the end of the season). But from my original question, does the pump need to run to push water from these petcocks or should it just drain when they are opened?
Old 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Yes, you will have to run the pump to pump the water out of the tank to the lines where it can drain from the low point drains.

Al
Old 08-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Here's a picture

This is what the tank drain on both of my trailers looks like. It is higher on the side of the trailer than you might think and is behind the curbside front wheel.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	396
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	269691  
Old 08-21-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

Your owners manual should describe the water tank's drain valve(s). I believe that the attached link is for your owner's manual, and on p. 89/126 it says:
"Pumping the water out with the self-contained water pump may empty the fresh water tank. Simply turn on the pump switch and open a couple of faucets until the water will no longer comes out. On all models there is also a petcock type drain valve located in the wheel well and extended out through the tank support pan.

"An additional drain plug is located on the bottom of the tank, accessible under the inspection plate close to the petcock that can be seen on the bottom of the tank support pan.

"Note: For winterizing purposes, only the petcock behind the tires needs to be opened to drain the tank."

If you could post a photo of the valves you see, it might be easier for folks to give you more precise guidance.

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpenczek View Post
I've looked and looked, but no other "drains" on my tank. I have the two petcocks on the bottom of the tank, and I can see the access door for the other low point drain (but it's caulked shut). I can see, on the side of the tank on the same side of the coach (curb) as the petcocks and the access door something that looks broken off a sealed (almost like a bad weld).

I'll assume using the petcocks to drain the tank is still OK until I get the drain fitting fixed (going to JC at the end of the season). But from my original question, does the pump need to run to push water from these petcocks or should it just drain when they are opened?

PS -- edit -- Sorry for the different font. The copy and paste from the PDF did not go smoothly within the alloted edit time window.

PS2 -- The pump can hasten the draining of the water from the low point drains, but don't let the pump run dry, it will be damaged. The low point drains should drain without the pump helping, also. You should read your owner's manual about winterizing your trailer, in addition to the text quoted above.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Running your pump allows the tank to "vent". Try opening a galley or lav faucet to allow a vacuum to break and it should drain fine.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Zionsville , Indiana
Thanks all. My tank drain is in fact gone (based on the photo in a prior post thanks for that photo).

The place where the drain was, looks to be plugged. As I noted, the rig is going to JC in early November so it will be another item to have fixed.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the feedback.

Peter
Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpenczek View Post
Thanks all. My tank drain is in fact gone (based on the photo in a prior post thanks for that photo).

The place where the drain was, looks to be plugged. As I noted, the rig is going to JC in early November so it will be another item to have fixed.
Somewhere here there is a least one thread about more rugged replacements for that cheap plastic petcock. Maybe someone will post where. If not a bit of imaginative searching should find it (them).

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
One of the all-caps ROBERT.........

ROBERT CROSS in Post #5 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...-151072-2.html
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
[QUOTE=Al and Missy;1838864]This is what the tank drain on both of my trailers looks like. It is higher on the side of the trailer than you might think and is behind the curbside front wheel.

Question, can this drain be replaced with a larger size faucet/petcock, where would I find one?
Thanks
carlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlose View Post
Question, can this drain be replaced with a larger size faucet/petcock, where would I find one?
Thanks

See link in Post #11, and Post #5 in that thread.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
Fresh water drain

Maybe if California could run a hose to all you Airstream owners draining your fresh tanks our water problems out here would be solved. What a waste.
Elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
How to drain the fresh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Somewhere here there is a least one thread about more rugged replacements for that cheap plastic petcock. Maybe someone will post where. If not a bit of imaginative searching should find it (them).

Ken

There are upgraded replacement HD drains available on EBay custom made for Airstreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
[QUOTE=carlose;1839324]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
This is what the tank drain on both of my trailers looks like. It is higher on the side of the trailer than you might think and is behind the curbside front wheel.

Thanks
The pet knock goes into a reducer bushing that goes into the flange. You could just put a plastic poly plug into the flange directly as well. Remove plug to drain. Plastic plug to prevent corrosion seizing a metal one in place. Plastic plug would be pretty flush so not likely to break.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote