Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
How to clean the tank

well, I got the axles on today and am trying to get ready for a quick campout. Problem is that the A/S had been sitting in the PO's backyard for the last 14 years. How do you suggest that I clean and disinfect the fresh water tank. The inlet looks a bit dirty and I'm sure that no water has been in it for at least the time that it sat.

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664
Member of the Four Corners Unit

The only true failure is the failure to try.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
_

. , .
cleaning a 37 year old fresh water tank that's not be 'used' for 14?

wow.

really it depends on HOW u intend to use the water IN that tank.

the chlorination process is covered in many threads and on the a/s website...

concentrations vary based on how long the solution will stay in the tank and how much organic matter is IN the tank...

i would NOT disinfect/sanitize/chlorinate it UNTIL any scum, sediments, algae and general CRUD is flushed out.

and there will be some of these things in it.

the ideal method requires ACCESS to the tank directly at one of the inlet/outlets, which you may not have.

so withOUT direct access to the tank,

my approach would be to put the largest siphon tube possible into the tank via the FILL port.

then fill it and suction it a few DOZEN times.

really run 100s of gallons of fresh water into it and out again, and inspect the crud that is suctioned out.

but spare the plumbing and water pump, either of which may become CLOGGED from sediment or algae scum.

also i'd consider renting a fiber optic snake and LOOKING inside the tank.

IF there is little or no crud (before or after the flushes) then sanitize the tank and pipes and fixtures,

following one of the chlorine concentration/time schemes widely available...

TANK DISINFECTION

INSTRUCTIONS FOR DISINFECIION OF POTABLE WATER SYSTEMS ON RECREATION VEHICLES

As approved by the U.S. Public Health Service

To assure complete disinfection of your potable water system, it is recommended that the following procedures be followed on a new system, one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have become contaminated. This procedure is also recommended before long periods of storage such as over winter.

1. Prepare a chlorine solution using 1 gallon of water and 1/4 cup of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution). With tank empty, pour chlorine solution into the tank. Use 1 gallon solution for each 15 gallons of tank capacity. This procedure will result in a residual chlorine concentration of 50 ppm in the water system. If a 100 ppm concentration is required as discussed in item 3, use 1/2 cup of household bleach with 1 gallon of water to prepare the chlorine solution. One gallon of the solution should be used for each 15 gallons of tank capacity.

2. Complete filling of tank with potable water. Open each faucet and run the water until a distinct odor of chlorine can be detected in the water discharged. Do not forget the hot water taps.

3. Allow the system to stand for at least 4 hours when disinfecting with 50 ppm residual chlorine. If a shorter time period is desired, then a 100 ppm chlorine concentration should be permitted to stand in the system for at least 1 hour.

4. Drain and flush with potable water.

IF you only plan to bath with the freshwater IN the tank the list of issues is shorter than if planning to cook or drink the water,

but a good filter at the sink is another issue to address.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
2Air you are always a wealth of knowledge for me, thanks much for the info. As a matter of fact I know a guy with the fiber optic camera (now that you reminded me), I think I shall give him a call

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664

Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
_

. , .
you are welcome jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiredog300
... As a matter of fact I know a guy with the fiber optic camera (now that you reminded me), I think I shall give him a call
cool!

lets hope that you don't see much.

i've seen some really impressive mounds of algae and scum in some tanks.

mostly not stuff dangerous to humans but yuk is yuk.

if the tank has been bone dry for a while this algae stuff is usually just BLACK dried crud.

hopefully you won't see much scale/dried mineral type deposits either.

IF you do, you'll need to use GALLONS of acetic acid (vinegar) or some other acid (to dissolve) that's safe for the tank...

i think some marine supply vendors carry products for this purpose...

hey IF you can rig up the scope to take pictures, that would REALLY be cool...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
I'll see what I can do. As my motto states "the only true failure is the failure to try"

"Travelstar Galactica"

WBCCI #13317
AIR #25664