Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Montpelier , Vermont
How The Heck Do I Get This Tank Out of Here?

I'm gutting my 58 Overlander, and have only the tub and large galvanized water tank left to go. The pipes on the street side go down into the floor but don't appear to be connected to anything that I can see. I have also freed it from the outside valve. Still, it won't really budge. The tank is empty, and I'm guessing cracked somewhere, as the floor is fairly soft underneath it. Any advice on how this thing comes out? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6103.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	273515  
SteelyCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
How The Heck Do I Get This Tank Out of Here?

In pieces can be fun. I love my reciprocating saw. Choose the right blade and destroy darn near everything! Favorite demolition tool.

There must be something holding it in place. I had a similar issue with a water heater. Found what must have been two tubes of sealer on the backside of the flange that kept it from coming out. Maybe the pipes are like that?

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
very likely has a drain coming out the drivers side floor that is a 1/2 inch threaded pipe with a hose bib on the outside that you need to unscrew, then some no doubt rusted screws down into the sub floor for the tank and it should come loose. You will probably need to unscrew the collar on the outside of the body, remove the fill cap, and carefully clear out any sealer they've used in the past to try to keep the water out.
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Montpelier , Vermont
rmkrum, Saw and destroy, I like it Something somewhere is holding that sucker in. If it's cracked already, why not saw it in half right? Ha!

goransons, I'll have to take a look under the drivers side floor tomorrow. I did get the collar off the outside and removed the fill cap, etc. We'll see what else
I can pry off!

Thanks!

Calvin
Old 10-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Besides, with the right bimetallic demolition blade, eye and ear protection, and gloves, it's a fun aerobic workout! Just don't chomp into the interior wall...

Have fun. If the tank is already broken, you are unlikely to make it worse.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:06 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Montpelier , Vermont
I used the recip saw and she's free! Thanks guys!

Any suggestions on how to get the tub out? The interior drain broke when I tried to use the pliers with a level to twist it out. I can see that it's extremely rusted under the subfloor. I'd really like to reuse the tub if I can.

Calvin
Old 10-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Since you had so much fun with the recip saw & the fresh water tank, drop the belly pan and saw off the rusted plumbing from below to free the tub - you're going to need all new piping anyways...

Once the tub is free from the trailer you can remove the plumbing bits still attached, clean it up and re-use it.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyCal View Post
I'm gutting my 58 Overlander, and have only the tub and large galvanized water tank left to go. The pipes on the street side go down into the floor but don't appear to be connected to anything that I can see. I have also freed it from the outside valve. Still, it won't really budge. The tank is empty, and I'm guessing cracked somewhere, as the floor is fairly soft underneath it. Any advice on how this thing comes out? Thanks!
The recip saw sounds like fun/work but is certainly an option. If you have the belly pan off, or plan to remove it, look for hex nuts underneath. There may be brackets on the underside of the tank with studs that extend down thru the frame or floor. I know nothing about your model but that just seems like a possibility. My '67 Overlander has a plastic tank sitting on the floor held in place by the couch frame and a couple of wood pieces on each end.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelyCal View Post
You can buy an AS Service Manual it shows how to take everything apart I got one for my 1978 even though I don't do any real rehab stuff it shows me how things come apart and go together.
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
... and on the 8th day God gave man the reciprocating saw, and he saw that it was good
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev1940 View Post
You can buy an AS Service Manual it shows how to take everything apart I got one for my 1978 even though I don't do any real rehab stuff it shows me how things come apart and go together.
Psst...it's a 1958, Airstreams didn't come with service manuals until 1964. They just had hit-&-miss appliance manuals and "how to" brochures. Us pre-64 vintage owners just get to figure things out!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Twin Falls , Idaho
When I removed mine a couple months ago, the drain nut came loose and the drain would just turn and not loosen anymore. I had to go underneath the floor and take it the rest of the way off by hand.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Montpelier , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Psst...it's a 1958, Airstreams didn't come with service manuals until 1964. They just had hit-&-miss appliance manuals and "how to" brochures. Us pre-64 vintage owners just get to figure things out!

Shari
Sadly, yes, we are manual-less. But, the perk of that is it's less obvious when I'm doing it wrong, right?!

I took the recip saw to the piping under the subfloor, but that thing was a beast. Is it possible that it's cast iron? It's a low profile trap and insanely thick and heavy. Even the recip with a special blade couldn't touch it. I wound up cutting around the drain with a utility knife in the tub with the thought that I may be able to retro fit something when the time comes. And, also, because I'm not married to the idea of having to reuse this tub. Even with the tub out, I wound up cutting a hole in the subfloor to get that beefy pipe out. One less piece of the subfloor to remove when the time comes.

Thanks for all the help!!!