Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
How much PEX

Help, please

I did a search and couldn't find the proper thread although I am sure it is posted all ready.

I am going to re-plumb our 34' 1997 Excella. How many feet of PEX (blue and red) do I need an how many of what configuration fittings will I need.

If anyone has all ready done this, it would be an immense help in placing my order.

I will only have about two days to do the job when I return from this current work trip until we leave to camp again!

The pressure is on (pun intended)

Thanks in advance.

2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #2

1996 21' Sovereign
, Colorado
Aviator - buy a 50' roll of each color. If you need more just get more. Home Depot and Lowe's sell rolls in different lengths and even sell pieces. If I were to re-plumb completely, I would buy the fittings online from places like PEX - Radiant Heat - Radiant Heating - Plumbing Supplies - PexSupply.com or PEX Tubing | Radiant Heat Manifolds | Taco Circulator Pumps | PEX Fittings plus others like Apollo. They are much cheaper than local stores even with shipping. Buy an assortment of fittings, T's, L's and pay particular attention to how you'll mate the PEX to existing plumbing. Get a cutter that can cut your existing pipe and PEX. Sharkbite or similar fittings are great, fast, and removable - but pricey. I'd use a crimp tool but be aware that the tool to use with copper crimp rings needs to open almost 180 degrees and can be a bear if not impossible to use in tight spaces and you need two hands to use it. The small ratcheting tool ($70-80) that uses stainless steel crimp rings is compact and good for nooks/crannies and requires just one hand to crimp. Take time to plan the job out as thoroughly as you can, and maybe you won't have to stop in the middle of work to get a fitting!

Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You can buy a "pocket crimper" for around $28 bucks at Home Depot or on line. It is small enough to get in tight places and uses a big pair of Vise=Grips to produce the clamping action. I use mine often, it is not as fast as the bigger tool but it will get in tight places and does 3 sizes of fittings. Also, put it in your tool kit for your trailer with a few fittings. If you ever have a leak on the road a fix will be easy.

The Pex Pocket Crimper- For permanent crimp connections with PEX tubing fittings
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Draw a diagram

We re-plumbed our Safari with PEX a couple of years ago--fortunately on a more lenient timeline than you describe.

Before you take anything apart on the old system, draw a picture of how the hot and cold water systems were originally installed. There's no substitute for that information once the old system is in the scrap heap.

I found that I had to re-engineer some of the assemblies near the water pump because PEX fittings won't turn as sharp a corner as the old copper fittings would. It was relatively easy to come up with a layout that did the same job and also fit the space.

Think about dividing the system into smaller assemblies and do the parts with poor access out in the open then put them in the trailer with the last fitting in a place where you can operate the crimp tool.

Our job was much more "head scratching" than it was actual work.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Thank you. I ended up buying the necessary stuff, taking out the bathroom and kitchen cabinets, then realized several of the pipes vanished under the floor. After scratching my head for a bit and watching the clock tick down, I ended up fixing the broken cpvc with more of the same. I will save the replacement for a longer period of downtime. Right now, the family wants to camp instead of waiting on dad to fix the trailer!
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote