Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master
1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
High pressure water supply

We are staying a RV park in San Antonio and the water pressure at the park at each site is 110 PSI +. They do warn you as you check in to be sure to use a hose end pressure regulator at the water valve to protect your water lines and hose. So I pulled out my trusty brass hose end water regulator and screwed it onto the water valve and then hooked everything up. My water regulator has a small gauge and it indicated that I was at the preset 50 psi and everything worked fine until around 10:30 pm when I heard a noise around the bath area like running water. I went out side with a flash light and found water running out at the bottom of the hot water heater door and when I looked at the gauge on the regulator it showed over 100 psi. I turned off the water and opened the water heater door and found that the pressure regulator on the water heater had tripped. It is set at 100 psi. I bought a new hose end regulator this morning and I am back to 50 psi. I was surprised that my old regulator failed but I guess nothing last forever. Or maybe these things will fail if the pressure gets to high, 110 psi plus. I have never stayed in a part with water pressure this high. I just hope the new one holds up for a few days. I plan on turning off the water at the valve when we are gone and at night.

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
High water pressure....and low Electrical voltage!
These are two things that need to be watched closely.

kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I learned about putting the pressure regulator at the campground faucet when the owner told me the pressure was 120 psi and to put it at that end or I might blow out my hose. The newer Airstreams have a built in regulator, but I don't trust it and always use one at the faucet. If a regulator fails, the mess isn't worth it. Don, I hope you didn't blow out anything in the trailer. The campgrounds cannot be trusted to warn you.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Idiot
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Over Yonder , Florida
My last trip out I was parked for a week with high pressure. Did not blow but had a real slow leak below my closet. It was raining so I did not find out until I was ready to leave. Floor is just drying out and did some damage to OSB. I thought I had a regulator on my city connection. Wrong!
I'll have one next trip
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote