Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Help water line froze and split

My space heaters tripped the breaker and temp in my AS dropped into 20*s and a copper water line under kitchen sink has a small ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch) split. What is easiest way to fix this? It appears to be 3/8 inch outer diameter according to caliper measurements Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2508.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	281322
Pic below
AustinAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Often when copper tubing freezes it stretches before it breaks. So when you try to repair it you may find that standard copper fittings wont work. If you want to do as little as possible I would cut the bad part out with a tubing cutter and try to replace it with standard copper fittings. If the copper coupling wont fit over the tubing, cut a few more inches off and try again. You may have to do this several times until you find a section of the tubing that has not stretched. At some point in time you will want to replace all that old copper with PEX.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
Often when copper tubing freezes it stretches before it breaks. So when you try to repair it you may find that standard copper fittings wont work. If you want to do as little as possible I would cut the bad part out with a tubing cutter and try to replace it with standard copper fittings. If the copper coupling wont fit over the tubing, cut a few more inches off and try again. You may have to do this several times until you find a section of the tubing that has not stretched. At some point in time you will want to replace all that old copper with PEX.

Thanks will do. What about shark bite fittings would that work?
Old 03-12-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
[QUOTE=AustinAir;1921905]My space heaters tripped the breaker and temp in my AS dropped into 20*s and a copper water line under kitchen sink has a small ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch) split. What is easiest way to fix this? It appears to be 3/8 inch outer diameter according to caliper measurements Attachment 281322

Like Gregsch said, cut out the bad until you get to good tubing. Personally I'd take the cut out section (with a good end/OEM dimension) to a hardware store and look for a match and buy a two copper compression connectors/couplers.

apologizes for the terrible jpeg

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01d9+gydA8L (Small).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	281333  
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that single frozen pipe may not be the only one, if your plumbing lines were all full. Repair the one break and turn on the water carefully, listening for rushing water inside the walls, behind the shower valves and so forth. Leave the water on for 5 minutes and turn it off, then look for drips under the trailer.

Or, fill the water tank, and use the pump to charge all the lines. Then shut all faucets but leave the pump on. If you have other leaks the pump will turn on and off.

If your water heater was full, hopefully you caught the problem before the heater tank split.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Suggestion for finding additional leaks. Use air. Take your wintering fitting and at maybe 30 psi or so pressurize the system. Listen for whistling. Better yet rig a test blowout connection that allows you to pressurize, includes a pressure gage, close a valve on the tester and monitor for leak down. Like new home construction does.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that single frozen pipe may not be the only one, if your plumbing lines were all full.

Peter
so what's that Donald Sutherland line from Kelly's Heros...something about "...all those negative vibes..."

one leak at a time. Pressure up...look for water, repair, repeat as necessary.

hit the road

bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 05:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

" . . . negative waves . . . " [0:35]

PS save a trip to the store and get extra supplies on the first trip . . .

Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
A quick temporary repair is to squeeze the hole back together and solder over it. I have done it a few times and if done cleanly it holds quite well.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
as above "cut a few more inches off" then patch with a slightly shorter piece of copper tubing and two female female couplers. solder these four joints. Just soldering the whole is looking for the leak to occur again. do it right; do it once
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Doing the complete re-plumb with PEX is surely the best of all solutions but if you can get to the lines easily cut out the split sections and solder on a PEX connector and just replace the bad section(s) with PEX. PEX is a bit more forgiving to expansion during a freeze event. Copper is not at all.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Thanks all I will work on it this week. I have already repaired the shower core and a drain valve that were freeze damaged but am aware that there maybe others
Old 03-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAir View Post
Thanks all I will work on it this week. I have already repaired the shower core and a drain valve that were freeze damaged but am aware that there maybe others
You can replace the damaged section with PEX. Usually one can buy PEX in relatively short sections. Get copper to PEX fittings (use the suggestions above to find locations where the original tubing is not misshapen). The experience of working with PEX will be good training for when you have a more extensive job.

As for finding additional leaks I like the air suggestion. It is not as messy and does not add water damage to your AS.

Good luck.

David Parker
1993 Excella
1989 Dodge D-350
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Thanks will do. What about shark bite fittings would that work?
Quote:
My space heaters tripped the breaker and temp in my AS dropped into 20*s and a copper water line under kitchen sink has a small ( 1/8 to 1/4 inch) split. What is easiest way to fix this? It appears to be 3/8 inch outer diameter according to caliper measurements Attachment 281322
Pic below
Clean it up, for a quick fix, soldier it. That will hold it.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Clean it up, for a quick fix, soldier it. That will hold it.
But there is very little peace of mind in this kind of repair IMO. One campground with high water pressure, and the soldered weak spot could let go without notice.

The original poster is on it:

Quote:
Thanks for the update AustinAir. Looking forward to further updates, especially if you switch to PEX in any hidden spots which need repair.

Peter
Old 03-14-2017, 06:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Be very careful when trying to solder. You'll be in among all kinds of flammable, thin wood in the interior of your trailer.

Personally, if I could find a place where the tubing hasn't stretched too much, I'd consider using PEX with Sharkbite connectors on either end. PEX is easier anyway.

My PO left me with the same problem. I pulled out all the copper water lines and replaced them with PEX, using crimp ring fittings. No more trouble in 8 years since then.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
A quick temporary repair is to squeeze the hole back together and solder over it. I have done it a few times and if done cleanly it holds quite well.
Soldering is a QUICK, TEMPORARY, repair when on the road and it's easy to get at the break. A permanent repair is done at home.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
also try using electrical heater wire. these warp around pipes that may freeze. it's likely safer that a light bulb bouncing around
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Well got the system to pressure up and no apparent leaks but when I turn water to hot flows for a few seconds and stops? I had drained hot water heater prior to freeze. I couldn't get hot water heater to ignite could that cause that?
Thnx for all the help
Old 05-06-2017, 12:43 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
AS fixed water leaks fixed, check valve on hot water heater was clogged and needed to be replaced also. Headed camping next weekend!
Thanks to all that helped with advise