Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2004, 10:00 PM   #1

HELP!--replace faucet

I have to replace a new faucet because my old faucet defected. I met a big trouble when connecting the tail piece to the supply tub (both are brass). The supply tub (water line) seems too small and when I put it into the tail piece, the tail piece cannot hold it at all. There's a big gap there. I followed the instructions and then put plumber's putty and also some silicon caulk on the top, and tighten the nut (although nut is tightend, the supply tub is still loose. It doesn't seem to be connected to the tail piece at all). I don't know how long does it take for the putty to dry. But I waited for 5 hours and then cut the water back, water came out from the connection.

I might overtightened the nuts. Does it destroy the tail piece? My question is: besides the putty, what else makes the supply tub to connect with the tail piece? I am very confused here and already spent plenty of time on it. very frustrated. Anyone here can help? Thanks a lot in advance? By the way, how much does it cost to call a plumber to come to fix?
freeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I replaced both faucets in my '68 and in both cases the old faucet had a nylon tapered piece that I had to remove from the old faucet and fit into the new one. Other than that the new faucets dropped into place and hooked up with no problems. Does your old faucet have something like that?

I think we might need a little more information to help you. Fill out your profile more completely (the User CP button at the top) or reply with your information so we know what year and model you have and perhaps someone with a similar unit can help.

Good luck!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Most new faucets come with written instructions and/or some pictures to help you install. And many have a free #800 number to the faucet dealer to call for help. (our new faucet had both (it is a Moen). Did you look in the packaging? Maybe yours does too? Hope that helps.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 05:56 PM   #4

My faucet is Delta, single handle type. It's a pretty common one. I did follow the instructions. As the instructions, it's easy to connect the tail piece to the brass water supply line. Just put some putty and then tighten the nut. However, when I tightened the nut, the brass water supply line was always loose. So, the water can easily leak out.

I checked my old faucet that I just took it apart. It has exactly the same tail piece as the new one. Don't know how it happen? It should be a very common question: how to connect the two brass lines, with only a nut and washer in between?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #5

More information:

My faucet has 1/2" IPS copper supply tubes (you can see the type from http://www.americanmaintenance.net/...lta/520-522.pdf). I don't know what IPS mean? But the internal diameter of the compression nut is 1/2". The cropper line from the hot/cold water supply come with a 1/2" compression nut, which exactly fits the seat in the copper line from the faucet. There's also a ring in between.

The problem is: my old faucet has exactly the same copper tail piece as the new one. When I took it apart, I saw the fitting (putty I think) in the nut. I left the fitting there and connected one tail piece with the hot water supply line. Everything works fine: there's no leak. And also I can feel that the connect is solid since I cannot move the copper supply tube when I shake or pull it. However, I met trouble when connecting the other copper tail piece with the cold water supply line. The problem is I removed the left fitting in the nut: I thought it's old so I just put the new putty in. But no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't make the copper cold water supply line connected to the tail piece: there's a gap inside? My guess is when I tighten the nut, the ring will be pressed into the seat, causing it to compress against the tail piece and the nut. But it didn't work.

How come I could connect one (the hot water one) but couldn't connect the other one? Does the ring defect? I heard that the ring might defect and cause such problem. Do you have any expererience.

I am really new to this. It's my first condo and I just spent a lot of time on it and bought a lot of tools to fix this. At the beginning I had confidence to fix it, but now I'm lossing patient. Don't know wheater I will end up with asking for a plumber to come. :P
Old 10-20-2004, 07:29 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Speaking of replacment faucets. Where do you find replacment bath faucet with shower for a 1971 Globe Trotter?
dogwood is offline   Reply With Quote