Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Question HELP-No water in any of the faucets???

We just acquired our first AS. (1969 25' Tradewind) It is actually our first RV period, so we are still learning how everything works. Today, I hooked up the water supply, but no water would come through any of the faucets inside the trailer. There were, however, two small black hoses (one on either side of the sewer outlet under the back bumper). When I turned on the water supply, water started coming out of one of these hoses. I have two shutoff valves in the back compartment and I experimented with various combinations of on/off, stil no water. I then partially filled the holding tank in front, and turned on the water pump. Still no water. I also tried different on/off combinations with the two shutoff valves here as well. I am at a loss. Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

shinybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Are you sure the water pump is working? You should be able to hear it.

Kathy, Tommy, & Crew, Chattanooga, TN
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:43 PM   #3

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
well, you never know what some PO might have done to a trailer this age, so check each fixture, and make sure that if they have their own shut-offs, they're turned on.
the other likely scenario is that the fixtures are clogged up with debris. take the aerators off the faucets, and make sure they're clear of gunk. Did you try the tub/shower or toilet?

the valves are likely drain valves, so the entire system can be completely drained. they should be closed. '69 should be similar or the same as my '73. 2 in the back (1 hot line, 1 cold line), 3 in the front under the galley (hot, cold, and water tank drain).

also check the water heater for a bypass arrangement. (a common add-on, to help with winterizing the trailer) misconfigured valves there could cause some confusion.
Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
I did try the tub and tiolet after turning off all four valves. I did not have any valves under the sink, just two at the water tank, and two in the back. I also discovered that the valves at the hot water heater was open. After turning all of these off, some water did come into the toilet and bathroom sink. Still none in the tub or galley sink. Although, I think the copper lines have some leaks. I noiticed water running out between the outside skin and the belly pan when the water supply was turned on. There is also a leak in the copper line at the back of the trailer. I guess I'll have to replace these. The PO said they worked the last time he used them (a year ago). He drained the lines before storing, but nothing else was done to winterize.

Any suggestions for how to remove the rivets inside that secure the covering for the water line between the front couch and the galley cabinet? I assume I'll drill these out, but I'm not sure what size drill bit, and what size/type of rivets to pur back when I'm finished. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Yea, you'll have to drill the rivets out. Try to find one of those "split point" 1/8 inch drill bits. They fit the hole in the interior pop rivets nicely. I've been using the white painted all aluminum pop rivets for gutters.
What kind of water pump is up front. The Parr pump in mine was shot.(seperate motor with belt driven pulleys) The diaphrams go bad. Also check for a sediment filter up by the tank. They are prone to clogging up on a regular basis.
Never had a problem with city water. There is a big ol' pressure regulater in back. Messed up? Just a thought.
Most of my supply pipe needed to be replaced due to leakage at the fittings. I also remember he first time I saw water leaking out from the belly pan.
Good luck, Keep us posted.
AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
I don't know how long you left the city water on when you tried it , it may have been trying to fill the HW heater ( about 6 gal. ) . Did you hear any air coming out of the faucets?
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
1979 29' Ambassador
Chipley , Florida
Help-No water in any of the faucets???

Had this problem in a 1971. Found that filter screen in the water regulator was stopped up with harden dirt and trash.
Jduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio

Before I did anything, like drilling out rivets, I'd follow Chuck's advise first.

Remove the aerators on the faucets and clean them - in fact just leave them off until the problem is solved.

The 2 valves in the rear trunk should be drain valves for the system - they should be closed. Go to the toilet next and look for a shut off on the feed line and open it. Check the hot water tank and open the by-pass if there is one. If not you'll need to let the tank fill - listen for it when you first turn on the water.

Fill the holding tank with the valves on it closed. Open one at a time and see which one drains water out of the bottom. It should then be closed. Open the other valve(s). Are you sure there are no valves under the sink?

Before I started drilling I'd give Airstream a call in Jackson Center Ohio to see if they have any advise - they can guide you to a source for an owners manual for your trailer - that may help. Or post another question for help- with the model you have in the title. I'm sure someone can help you here before you dive in too deep.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Thanks for all of the advice so far! I'll try all of those things when I can get some daylight... I hesitated to let the water run too long, because I was getting leaks inside the trailer. (Explained below)

Here's what makes me think that the copper lines may be damaged: After I closed all of the drain valves, I turned on the city water supply. I then went into the trailer and got water to come out of the bathroom faucet and some into the toilet. (toilet was very slow to fill)
I noticed in the back, there are two copper lines, one on top of the other. I'm assuming these are hot and cold. Well, the line on the bottom was spraying water straight up and it didn't appear to be near a fitting that I could see. Then I went into the trailer, and between the sink and the couch, water was puddling on the floor. I looked behind the sink, and no water was coming from the copper lines that I could see there. It appears to be coming from the water line that is hidden behind the cover panel that runs along the bottom of the wall at the floor. The trailer is not sitting level, so I think this is what was draining out at the belly pan. I'm thinking that it could be a combination of this along with some of the other possibilities mentioned earlier in the thread?

To answer the previous questions: I can see the water pump working. It's the type with the external belt, & I can see the diaphram pumping. I have put a pic of my water pump and valve configuration. I did not hear any air from the faucets until I turned the hot water on. I did not see any shut off valves under the sink, unless they are behind the furnace or something.

Follow up question: Where would I find the water regulator?

I'll post pics of my trouble areas tomorrow. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0021.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	28867  
Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We share frustrations...

My sympathies. I know your frustration. After we brought home our 'new' Tradewind I of course wanted to try everthing you. I hooked up the city water and turned on the hose valve. When I went into the trailer my experience was the same as you described. Trickle of water from some faucets then eventually water coming from under the galley sink. I toddled (just had a new hip installed) out and shut the city water off. Water was also flowing from under the trailer. I thought my only problem was the leak at the galley sink. So since my recent surgery I have been advised not to bend more than 90 degrees at the waist, (you should see what gadgets I have to dress with) squat or kneel. So instead of repairing that leak from under the sink I removed it (I got really good at working with a mirror to unscrew the sink without kneeling) and repaired a split in the copper tube from the top with reinforced plastic hose and clamps. Well as it turned out there were 4 more such split copper pipe, one was a similar repair to mine the PO did that blew off. My first lesson learned was that I needed a pressure regulator. I am sure that when I turned on my city water with an agricultural valve (off to full on in one twist) 60+ psi of water surged through an empty 100' of hose and slammed into my weakened trailer plumbing. Well I have temporarily 'patched' all my pipes but when my hips have healed I know what I am doing. Well anyway I bought a water pressure regulator and all my plumbing works great now.......but with constant monitoring of that patchwork. With all theadvise you will get from the very helpfull members of this forum you will be camping problem free soon.
Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 09:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1969 25' Tradewind
Yep, sounds like the same thing. I'm going to try and chip away at it more on Saturday, but here are the pics of my problem areas. Thanks again for all of the advice. I'll post reports on the progress.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover plate.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	28958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear pipes.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	28959  

Name:	Galley sink.JPG