Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Heated water hose that covers hot and cold climate?

About to buy the pirit heated water hose.

I am going to start out trip from hot Texas in September and will end in cold BC Canada in November.

Along the way, there may be cold nights.

So I am thinking of getting this hose.

Questions:
1. Can I NOT buy other water hose and use this one and only one for my whole three month trip? Which means I will use it is a place that is in the 100F. Or I need a regular water hose

2. With this heated hose, does it mean I don't need to unplug the water hose at cold nights?

Thank you

JoyClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1471888947.905130.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	269750
spreadmywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by spreadmywing View Post
Questions:
1. Can I NOT buy other water hose and use this one and only one for my whole three month trip? Which means I will use it is a place that is in the 100F. Or I need a regular water hose
A heated hose still works as a hose when it's not plugged in.
Quote:
2. With this heated hose, does it mean I don't need to unplug the water hose at cold nights?
A heated hose does not protect the spigot from freezing. It does not protect a filter canister attached to the hose. It doesn't even protect the check valve at your municipal water intake. It only protects the hose itself. AND you need to have a service pedestal at your campsite with both 30-amp and 15-amp outlets so you can plug in the hose; not all campgrounds have both.

The best way to handle the issue of cold-weather camping is to carry a regular hose only. Fill your fresh tank (which is heated either by your furnace or by an electric heating pad, depending on the Airstream model) and use the water from there, bringing the hose inside when it's not in use. Since you can't fill the fresh tank unless the spigot at the service pedestal is unfrozen anyway, you don't have to worry about your hose freezing if you only use it to fill the fresh tank.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thank you! It is so helpful then I will get a regular water hose for now (this trip)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One thing to keep in mind, if you travel from one campsite to another and don't want to winterize in between stops, you should be able to safely tow the trailer with the furnace turned on, and the thermostat set as low as it will go, which is still above freezing, high enough to keep your tanks and inside plumbing warm.

If I'm mistaken about traveling with the furnace on, I welcome being corrected by anyone reading this… I've traveled with my Interstate's furnace on, and the same type of furnace is installed in many— but not all— Airstream trailers.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
dallas , Texas
Thank you!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One thing to keep in mind, if you travel from one campsite to another and don't want to winterize in between stops, you should be able to safely tow the trailer with the furnace turned on, and the thermostat set as low as it will go, which is still above freezing, high enough to keep your tanks and inside plumbing warm.

If I'm mistaken about traveling with the furnace on, I welcome being corrected by anyone reading this… I've traveled with my Interstate's furnace on, and the same type of furnace is installed in many— but not all— Airstream trailers.
I''ve never traveled with my furnace on but do it frequently with the reefer on gas. I don't see much difference. Both need to be switched off when refueling.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

OOoooooo, you are traveling with your propane ON? I'm telling...... Then let the fireworks begin on this
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I travel with my refer on but I haven't had the occasion to need my furnace. I would run it if I needed to, I guess.

I did buy a heated water hose (like the one shown) when I was on the road last winter. However, since you must disconnect from the faucet at night anyway, I no longer have a use for it. It may find its way to a sale table at a rally some day.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:52 PM   #9
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have towed in extremely cold weather with the thermo set between 40-50. High wind may cool the trailer more due to air leakage and drafts. I have had no freeze ups.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Great info - thanks from a newbie.

I was about to search for a heated hose online when I decided to search here first. Glad I did! Save me 100+ right away. Thank, folks!
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote