Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Has anybody tried this new Pex plumbing system

Has anybody tried this new Pex plumbing system........

toastie

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
Has anybody tried this new Pex plumbing system........

toastie

I used standard PEX fittings and pipe in the Airstream, didn't know about that type last year when I did mine. I can see one major advantage, the compression tool is much smaller and I'll bet will get in much tighter spots than the standard stuff. Looks easier to put together as well. The standard metal rings can be little rough on the elbow grease part of the equation. Wonder how the prices compare?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
HD and other outlets sell a compact pex crimper that you use a pair of vise grips to apply the pressure. It works great, cost around $28 and can be used in tight spots and does all 3 common sizes. It takes a little longer than a long handle crimper as you have to take a couple of "bites" with the vise grips. It would be a good tool to have in the tool box in case of a water leak on the road. Below is a link showing the tool.
PEX Pocket Crimper 07100 - Superior Tool
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
It looks pretty easy. How does it come apart for repairs? I don't want to switch over to something new if repairs mean all new plumbing.

Rick

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I would not put it any place that I did not want to do again.

Pex tubing (the long runs or piping) worked fine. Airstream used it in my trailer and it was labeled "Vanguard" in 1987. However, the hard version used in elbows, tees, etc. is where the problems always occur. The hard plastic cannot stand up to the compression of the crimping rings over time.

I would not want to put plastic tees, elbows, connections, etc. in any location that I did not want to do again. Plastic under compression is going to fatigue!

I have had one incident with the hard plastic in an elbow. I shudder to thing what a problem it would have been if it were in the belly of the trailer. My problem was under the bathroom sink with a line going to the water heater / bypass valve. Only took 2 days to tear out the bathroom so I could get to it.

A sympathetic plumber in Florida told me what to look for with the hard pex elbows, tees, etc. He was dead on the money.

He smiled and told me he had made a good living over the last twenty years due to pex in park models, trailers, doublewides,etc.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Wonder how the prices compare?

Jim
Jim

The 1/2" T SharkBite Push-Fit Fittings is $8.05
Cash-Acme U362 - Cash-Acme - 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/2" Tee

The 27820: TEE 1/2" is $1.92
iPlumb.tv - PEX Fittings Flair It PRO Bulk - TEE 1/2"

The 18050: FLAIR-IT PRO INSTALL TL 1/2" U is $66.00
iPlumb.tv - PEX Fittings Flair It PRO Bulk - FLAIR-IT PRO INSTALL TL 1/2" U

Other prices iPlumb.tv - PEX Fittings Flair It PRO Bulk

Toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
I don't see how you can undo or tighten this fitting and you need a special tool - 2 attributes I look at in plumbing.

The Sharkbyte and its ilk (Lowe's calls their equivalent Gatorbyte) work well and come in take apart as well as permanent styles. You need to make sure then ends of your tubing are cut clean and straight for these. Most work with copper as well as PEX so they can be useful for transitions or copper tubing repair. These are very useful in tight spots, too.

These 'byte type fittings are similar in some ways to the Quest in that they use a grab ring and a gasket.

The 'older' Flair-it is like the video except the pipe slips on the fixture to trap the ID and a nut tightens down on the OD. These don't require crimping tools or other special devices and they can be taken apart and they can be tightened if you have a leak or need to make adjustments.

Crimping is nice for production work but not so much for replumbing or repair in an RV.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Well as a plumbing contractor,I won`t use that system until it has proved itself after several years,by then I should be retired,and not have to worry about it. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote