Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2002, 07:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Question getting to plumbing

There is a water leak in the back of my newly acquired 1977 Sovereign. This is the model with the bathroom at the back. When I look inside the back panel (where the valves for the holding tanks are) to the right, I can see where the water is squirting against the inside of the curved corner panel. From reading other posts about leaks, I suspect this is either at a connection or a break in the copper line. I am perplexed, however, about how to gain access to the plumbing to fix it. The former owner suggested either taking out the tub or removing the back panel. Are these good suggestions? I hate to start something and find out it was a big mistake.

Thanks for your help.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Getting to plumbing

Find the leak first! Is it comming from the shower when the water is on?? Water pressure should cause the leak to be visual. Apparently there were leaks in that area in my trailer. The previous owner cut the pipe and installed hoses and clamps!!
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Pipes

In my 72 31 footer the copper starts in the left rear, (facing front at back of trailer) loops around to the right, going under the tub, through the closet, under the bed, then comes out under the edge of the kitchen cabinets, and under the kitchen sink, to the water pump. There is a second loop and return from the left side coming from the hot water tank, next to the toilet, with a T on the cold side of the HWT for the toilet. I had two bursts in my copper when I bought it, one under the tub, and the other just 1 foot to the right of the pressure regulator. I had to take out the storage shelf first. I cut the burst section of copper out and replaced it with high pressure black hose and stainless steel hose clamps. If you wanted to replace the copper, assuming a burst under the tub, you could cut it either under the bed, or closet, near the Univolt, and in the storage compartment in the rear of the trailer and fish some new copper in, or use high pressure black hose. I know you can do this without removing the tub. Take the door off in the closet where the Univolt is and look in there, you will see the hot and cold lines under the tub. If you do use black hose, be sure it is the right size, or it will slip off. I had to heat mine up before it would slide over the copper, and it fits very snug.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
need more help

OK. I spent some time this weekend trying to find out where the leak is. Apparently it is big enough to prevent water from flowing through the lines to any of the facilities as I was unable to get water from any tap. However, there was water pouring out the bottom of the right (curbside) rear panel.

From the trunk opening, I felt along the water lines as far as I could reach, but did not encounter the leak. I checked inside the closet that is next to the tub, but didn't see any way to gain access to plumbing. I also didn't see any panel opening in the bath area, the way there are in home bathrooms.

When I looked closely at the exterior panels, I noticed that the bottom one that curves under looks like it is just slipped beneath the straight panel above it, and riveted to the underside. So I'm thinking that this may be a way to get to the plumbing.

BTW, in my rig the Univolt seems to be in the front, judging by the hum, also the diagrams.

Any suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks.
Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:21 PM   #5
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Lightbulb

Do you have a closet next to the tub & shower? If so does it have a raised floor about 5 inches? If it does you can try and drill out the rivets holding the raised floor out. This should allow you to gain some access to the water lines underneath your tub. The easiest sollution I could come with, without seeing it, if you're convinced that the leak is coming from underneath the tub, would be to cut the lines in the closet and then cut the lines in the rear storage compartment and replace them with high pressure reinforced water lines. I work much better over the phone. You can send me an e-mail at YIWORK@aol.com and I would give you my phone number. I am available 24/7. Matt Dimmer
TheBigRedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote