Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2003, 02:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Angry General plumbing question

“63 Tradewind. This year appears to not have a service manual, so some of the pipes are a mystery. I have three small leaks in the copper water supply system. I can repair them (tourch and solder inside) or begin replacing the supply plumbing system with poly pipe. What are your opinions (silly question I know, it is like asking do I pull with a ford or chevy). Another problem is, some, of the plumbing has been replaced with poly, some is galvanized metal. Most of this is in the gray water system.
The holding tank should it go or should it stay. Air pressure is a problem due to altitude change where I live. Gas station is at 6000’ and I live at over 9000’. Can I achieve water pressure with a plastic tank and water pump(s)? There are two quarter inch copper pipes that go under the floor. They are forward of the wall between the lavatory and the amidships berthing area and aft of the water holding tank. What do they go to?
I am also trying to remove the dump valve on the bottom of the black tank. In order to replace the gasket. The screws are rusted on. I have not tried to force them, I have been using liquid wrench and WD40 on them. If they don’t loosen and I have to drill them out, is there and after market valve that will fit this tank? Also I have not been able to find an after market connection for this drain pipe that fits securely.
eracism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
In our '59 Trade Wind, we switched all of the copper lines with PEX. Easy to put in, quick connections and only had one leak. That was an easy fix. As for the poly tank or original. We went with the poly, old one smelled bad. As far as the pressure goes, the tank isn't under pressure, just the lines from water pump to the fixtures. When hooked to city water, always use a pressure regulator and this will keep the pressure levels down for the RV plumbing. One of the lines going out of the floor under the midships berth is for the city water connection. Hope this helps.

Brad

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
General plumbing question

RE: '63 TradeWind Manuals

You are correct that Airstream didn't publish Owner's or Service manuals for the '63 Airstreams. The first year for the Owner's Manual was 1964. If my information is correct, it would be several years after that before the Service Manuals were published. Even in 1964 the Owner's Manual wasn't terribly specific about plumbing or electrical questions - - generic diagrams were provided that at least give some clues. As similar as the '63 and '64 models are, you might find a '64 manual helpful. During this time period, each coach was supplied with an envelope of manufacturer provided manuals for installed appliances and accessories - - often these manuals will be more helpful than the owner's manual in answering specific questions about an appliance.

Good luck with your plumbing project.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote