Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2017, 06:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
Not recommended to drink water from a garden hose. Garden hoses are made from post consumer and industrial recycled plastic. It can be almost anything. You know that stuff you through in your blue bin, guess where it goes!!!
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PB -- For the cost of a new 25' hose, you are risking the quality of the water in your pipes IMO, which you use to wash dishes, bathe with and so forth.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22783-T...se+water+25%27

Is saving $20 worth it?

Low probability your hose will create a problem, but a higher risk as time goes on IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a white water hose with fittings and filter for the RV, and a separate 25' white hose with the two ends connected for washing the RV or extending the city water connection. Learn to over/under and fasten with a Velcro strap.
BTW, I can't recall ever drinking water that came from the tank, except coffee, and that's been through two filters..
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Why is everyone afraid to drink from their AS tank? With proper maintenance, it is fine to drink from there. It's a food grade tank, and unless posted otherwise, campgrounds have to comply with local, state and federal drinking water standards.

I understand personal preference, but I wonder if there is some unnecessary fear going on. I have drank from camper tanks since I was 12 years old....never a problem.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We drink filtered water at home, take a lot with us and then buy bottled water while camping, our choice, what we are used to. Still use tank water for tooth brushing and some cooking. Chlorinate tank once a year.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
. . .
. . . campgrounds have to comply with local, state and federal drinking water standards.
. . .
Yeah, but do they actually comply all the time? And what about a well gone bad, or an unknown source of pathogens getting into well water without anyone knowing about it?

What about the previous camper using a hose to drain his grey water tank [or worse] and then connecting that hose to the hose spigot you want to use for drinking water?

The admittedly conservative steps listed in Post #19 are for protection in a world which is changing all the time, full of more and more crazy or at least insensitive souls.

A small price to pay for one's health IMO.

Just because a practice has worked in the past doesn't mean it is still the best path forward in this brave new world. Also -- recognition of new risks is not fear. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Good luck not changing one's ways . . . the world ain't what it used to be!

Happy Trails.

Peter
Old 03-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I guess I just don't live in fear all the time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-30-2017, 02:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In this brave new world it ain't fear, just a new landscape to traverse . . .

We have had lots of health issues in the the past year, and as I said already, being conservative and cautious for the sake of one's health is only wise and prudent IMO.

Fine with me if you want to risk drinking water that may be polluted!

PS -- Please don't force my caution into your "fear all the time" box.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
A health concern is certainly valid. As I said in my first question, a personal reason is personal, it just seems numerically out of the norm....the number of people who don't utilize the AS system. I am sure the day will come when I have to watch what goes in, if I live long enough. But for now, I still drink filtered lake water on wilderness trips. There is something to be said for keeping ones immune system cranked up. Exposure to everyday microbes is healthy, to a point.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Well said, thanks.