Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
galvanized street elbow

I am attempting to fix the freshwater fill on my 91 AS. The solution I have come up with involves threading a 1-1/4 galvanized stree elbow into the poly tank fitting. Is there any reason using a metal street elbow on my poly fresh water tank is a bad idea?

Thirsty in TN
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Just be sure the threads on the galv fitting are good, a burr could tear up plastic threads. They do make nylon threaded street elbows that you should use if you can.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Just be sure the threads on the galv fitting are good, a burr could tear up plastic threads. They do make nylon threaded street elbows that you should use if you can.

Thanks - a good idea. I checked Lowes and Home Depot and they dont carry them - any ideas for a supplier?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
I am attempting to fix the freshwater fill on my 91 AS. The solution I have come up with involves threading a 1-1/4 galvanized stree elbow into the poly tank fitting. Is there any reason using a metal street elbow on my poly fresh water tank is a bad idea?

Thirsty in TN
I would use brass and not galvanized, it will rust eventually.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 AM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
No reason that you can't use galvanized but there are other materials available. The big box DIY store selection varies from locale so it's always hit or miss, but your local plumbing supply house should carry what you need.

There's alway McMaster-Carr. They just about anything under the Sun and have Street Elbows in brass, galvanized, stainless, aluminum, and all types of plastic. Just type what you're looking for in the "Find" box located on the upper left hand side of their homepage.

www.mcmastercarr.com

Disclaimer - McMaster-Carr is known to be highly addictive to those of us who have the habit of walking the isles of the local hardware store looking for nothing in particular.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvanwave View Post
Thanks - a good idea. I checked Lowes and Home Depot and they dont carry them - any ideas for a supplier?
Plumbing supply store or 1/2 WHITE NYLON STREET ELBOW
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
No reason that you can't use galvanized but there are other materials available. The big box DIY store selection varies from locale so it's always hit or miss, but your local plumbing supply house should carry what you need.

There's alway McMaster-Carr. They just about anything under the Sun and have Street Elbows in brass, galvanized, stainless, aluminum, and all types of plastic. Just type what you're looking for in the "Find" box located on the upper left hand side of their homepage.

www.mcmastercarr.com

Disclaimer - McMaster-Carr is known to be highly addictive to those of us who have the habit of walking the isles of the local hardware store looking for nothing in particular.

Regards,

Kevin

I need rehab already---- thanks! Excellent source I did not know of.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
UPDATE
Nothing in 1-1/4 worked. The 2" of side to side working space forced me to another solution. I used a 1-1/4 to 1/2" reducer, then a 1/2" threaded elbow, and a 1/2" pipe barb. Ran poly tubing to the exterior water inlet and terminated with a female garden hose end. Now I hook my water supply to the new poly tubing and fill it up. The tubing slides into the old 1-1/4 opening nicely and the locking cover works. I run the hose a little less than full volume and the tank fills great. No more leaks when I fill the fresh water tank.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The outside water fill doesn't come stock with any kind of a threaded fitting so that owners won't accidentally overfill their fresh water tanks and destroy them from the pressure.

In other words — BEWARE: you may not be the only person to do that task, let everybody know the risk, including subsequent owners...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
The outside water fill doesn't come stock with any kind of a threaded fitting so that owners won't accidentally overfill their fresh water tanks and destroy them from the pressure.

In other words — BEWARE: you may not be the only person to do that task, let everybody know the risk, including subsequent owners...

True - I did allow for this by using a slow rate of fill and monitoring the water gage. I overfilled the tank on purpose to see if my fittings held ( they did) and extra water came out the vent hole. Right - this set up brings the need for a little extra vigilance as you state but I am now able to fill my tank, with no leaks--- no other solution aside from dropping the tank seemed possible. Thanks for pointing this omission out.