Old 12-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
full water system rebuild

Hello all,
I'm new to all of this. I bought a 63 globetrotter and have stripped it down to the old rusted frame and the shell. I'm planning on rebuilding the whole water system,electrical system, cabinets etc. right now I'm at the point where I have the whole floor removed and want to put clear and gray water tanks in the frame bay. I need help on figuring out every thing from the water in take, hoses, tank attachments, vents to the system, pumps and on demand water heater. I know this is allot of things to consider, but i'm looking at the whole system and want to do it right. for example, what water pump will give me the correct water pressure for the on demand heater? Is there a place that gives an over view of a complete system that I can modify for my purpose? How do you insulate against freezing? After the water I'll be taking care of a complete electrical system but maybe I'll leave that for another day. Any help in these areas would be greatly appreciated. this has already been a great source of info. Thank you

Old 12-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Welcome to the forums and good luck with the project. You have a lot of work ahead so set you time expectations accordingly. Vintage Trailer supply is now making grey tanks that are sized to fit between the frame rails. They can attach fittings anywhere on the tanks so they are a "custom" tank when you decide how you are going to plumb it. I know all the older trailers had the fresh tank inside the trailer. If put it back in the original location and that will let you use the original filler neck, that is what I did on my 68. I would not put the fresh tank under the floor. RV 12v water pumps are a standard type item some more heavy duty so that is no big deal. The original Atwood type water heater will give you good service, they are not too expensive and they will fit in the original location which will save you a lot of time. Installing an on-demand type water heater will require a lot of fabrication work and time. The new RV water heater tanks are very well insulated and they don't use a lot of propane, also you can turn it off during the day to save fuel. It is really easy if you get one with the electronic ignition.
If you are doing the trailer then do the electrical now. If it is gutted now is the time, not after you have installed cabinets.
Finally, as a rule of thumb from my experience and from talking to a lot of other Airstreamers, you can expect to spend about twice what you initially think it will cost and it will take you about 4 times a long as you think. Knowing that, you can set you goals as far as when you can go camping and not be frustrated and rush a job that later you wish you had taken time and care and done better. Also, you will most likely need a new axle if it has never been replaced. A 63 will probably have about zero suspension movement. No need in spending all that time and money on the project and then beat it to pieces pulling it on a worn out axle that has no cushion left.

Best of luck and keep us posted on the project.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 29' Ambassador
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Water system rebuild

Hi geoff -

I am also pretty new to this. My '78 28ft Ambassador had all copper plumbing. When I got it, it had a split about every 18".
I went with 1/2" PEX with Sharkbite fittings. It's supposed to be alright if it freezes but I think the best thing will be to think out pipe routes/slopes and place drains as needed. I'm not worried about it freezing while I'm using it - there is enough heating routed close to pipes to keep things thawed. If it's warm enough for me it will be warm enough for the plumbing. . .
Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
Thanks for the info. I think your estimate on the time it will take me is about right. I don't think I'll be setting any dead lines or making any reservations soon. I had a mechanic/ welder come by for a look and also thinks I should replace the axle. We also talked about putting leaf springs and brakes in at the same time. I was wondering why you wouldn't put the clear water tank in the frame day? I was thinking of one tank in front of the axle and the gray behind. I'm hoping to run some of the wiring after the plumbing is roughed in. when i picked up the trailer the previous owner had started the rebuild so there wasn't much left to the original lay out. they had bought a new fridge, stove top and water heater. my wife is set on having the tub so that is why i was thinking about an on demand water heater. I'll take a closer look at our heater and see if that might work for us. I also had to remove all the old copper piping. I'll look into 1/2 PEX. So much more to discus but i'll have to leave it here. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Hi Geoff, just over on the other side of the mountains in the Yakima Valley. Did a 63 here, and black tank was above the floor. Is that the case on yours? Before you toss any 63 stuff let me know, I'm always holding on to stuff since I'm trying to keep mine 100% original.

As far as water system, I did go with pex, and color coded. It wasn't stock but with the freeze cycles here it just seemed smarter. I used the stuff from home depot with the crimper tool they sell. Works great. I ran it all above the floor as stock.

As far as gray tank, I'd suggest getting it as close to the axle(s) as possible. Several guys have done this on the forums if you look around at some of the major reno threads. One thing is you'll need to have tanks sit lower than the existing belly pan and likely the drain lines will have to run below the pan in areas due to how shallow the frame is.

Call inland rv about an axle, I'd stay stock, the ride is great and the frame is already set up. New one bolted in in just a few hours, including all new shocks and brakes.

Here's our project:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f150...1-a-46195.html

Here's a thread to check out for sure:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f109...ome-71609.html
WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have 1/2 " pex and shark bite fittings in my 73 Overlander. I did not winterize mine last year. Drained all the water out of the lines. I thought I would be safe, but I was not. All my shark bite fittings that had turn on and off valves split. My toilet split.

I fixed all the fittings and replaced the toilet. I winterized this year and hopefully it won't happen again. Lowe's sells a fitting that works like a shark bite but is made of a material that looks like plastic or PVC. I am using them on my 1960 Overlander. I am in the process of finishing my plumbing in it.

Brian
Old 12-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I just blow the whole system with air, pull the water heater annode and put rv antifeeze in the toilet and traps
WBCCI 8671
1963 Safari from the 1963-64 Around the World Caravan
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
thanks for the info. I think I'll be doing the same with Pex. when I picked up the trailer there wasn't much original in the way of cabinets and build ins. I have saved every thing that i've pulled off so far. I'll let you know if I have parts that you could use. Yes, the black water tank was above the floor. I'll be installing the gray water tank just behind the axle. where was the original clear water tank located? I'm thinking of having it up by the hitch. I'm hoping to run the pluming in the frame bay. I'll call inland rv about the axle. the trailer doesn't have any brakes, but I would like to instal disc brakes at the same time. do you think they could help me out with that at inland rv?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
The water tank in my 63 (original ) is located in the very front under the gaucho. I updated the water system with a Shurflow pump ,Pex lines , and Sharkbite type fittings. Everything is 1/2" to keep it simple. I put in a new water heater but we never used it so I took it back out to get a little more closet space.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
did you put any kind of air valve on you tank to reduce the suction on the system? Did you install a gray water tank? I haven't seen to many "63 Globetrotters out there. It's nice to hear from you. was the water intake on the curb side up by the hitch? My trotter was totally gutted when i picked her up so I'm not familiar with the lay out in it's original condition.