Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Send a message via Skype™ to almcate
Full timer looking for fresh tank repairs in DC area

Hi all,
Dry camping in Shenandoah this weekend and discovered my fresh water was dropping at an alarming rate. Have been carrying a full fresh tank for about a week so I was perplexed as to why I was down to three ticks on the monitor this morning when gray and black tanks were only up three ticks since dumping Friday morning.
Checking underneath, sure enough, there is a steady drip every ten seconds or so from the belly pan adjacent to the low point drain valve. Not sure what gave way, but am supposing either there is a crack in the fresh tank or perhaps one of the fittings that has given way. Shutting off the pump doesn't seem to affect the drip rate, so I'm assuming the leak is in the tank rather than in the line between the tank and water pump. Haven't noticed puddles when on city water, but that may be due to not looking for any.
Heading down to county parks Fredricksburg for four days tomorrow and then to Mannassas for a week and a half. Don't want to leave the trailer as it's where we live, but hoping someone from the area might suggest a reliable repair service that could at least troubleshoot if not immediately repair. I know folks are backed up this time of year with getting trailers prepped and pampered after a long storage season, so I expect I may have to bide my time living on city water until I find a place that can order parts (assuming the worst).
Thanks in advance for any obvious alternatives I'm missing (seems to be a recurring theme) and/or suggestions for service in the DC metro area. Al & Robin
2018 Airstream 23FB Flying Cloud
2015 F150 XLT 3.5L EcoBoost, 4WD
almcate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Is anyone is familiar with the architecture of the belly pan on a 2010 27 FB ... The low point fresh drain faces out between the tires but I see there are two other cock valves (I think) at the left on pan bottom. Wondering if I get up on blocks high enough to get under to drop the pan to see the tank condition, about the difficulty of such a on-the-road maneuver and if the two other valves (black & gray drains?) make it too complex to try. City water seems to have me in traveling mode so it may be prudent to just leave the fresh tank dry until a competent mechanic can assess. Heading to Ohio in six weeks, so maybe a spa day at the mother ship is in order.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
There is an AS dealer in Fredericksburg - Safford RV. They are not a "deadicated" dealer (they mainly sell SOBs) and I can't vouch for their repair department. I'm always leery of having SOB RV places work on Airstreams. The mothership would be the best place to go in my book, if you can wait.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Creek , OR
Think we're going to opt to wait for first available appointment in JC, June 10, to deal with fresh tank and a variety of other small items. Since leakage is on the order of 4-5 gallons a day, figure we can go a day or two dry camping where inconvenient to camp only with full or water/electric hookups. Wondering if there is any downside? Should I remove the access panel to facilitate drainage or just not worry about leaking a day or two a couple times along the way?