Old 11-17-2010, 01:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Frozen water hose.

Hi, we have camped in some pretty cold weather and my fresh water hose has frozen about four times. I want a heated water hose, but I'm somewhat lost. Amazon has two brands of heated water hoses and they both have bad reviews. I have seen some other ones for close to $200.00 or so for 15 - 20 feet. I have heard that some people have made their own using heat tape? Or heat strips? What is your experiences since more of you live in places that get cold. And the heat strips say they are for pipe, not hoses, so what could/should I use? The smaller looking hose is from K-H and the larger looking hose is from PIRIT.
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I would like to hear about one that is within my price range and works. I plan on moving one of my trailers up north and parking it. I would like to use it in the winter.

Robert Great Post!

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i hope you get more answers this time.

would a protective slinky or foam pipe insulation work?

how about ducting some heated air from the trailer into that protective slinky? it might even draft up the hose and warm the faucet.

anyone want to become a test lab? :-)
2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If I know it is going to freeze I will take the hose in for the night and run of the on board tank.

If it is going to freeze and I need to leave the hose hooked up I use heat tape and a foil tape with fiberglass insulation that is available at most hardware and home stores. I have been in temps in the low 20's and that worked. IIRC the tape was ~$6 a roll and the heat tape might have cost me $15. Use the shortest hose you can get a way with.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I live in my trailer between 1/3 and 1/2 the work week (on the Oregon border along the Snake River). Last winter was the first time I've ever needed the sub-freezing preparations which included a freeze proof water supply. The RV park has their freeze-proof hydrants protected but I'm responsible for the connector hose between their supply and the trailer. I bought the heat strip from a True Value store (about $28.00) and when I read the instructions I learned what you state - it is not for hoses. I went to an RV parts store and, upon their recommendation I bought a "hose" that is made of a semi-rigid plastic that is similar to underground sprinkler pipe. I followed the directions and it worked pretty well. I didn't like their recommendation for wrapping with a strip of fiberglas insulation and plastic. It was pretty beat up by the end of the season. This year I'm using the same "hose" and heat strip but have installed molded foam pipe insulation rather than the fiberglas. I've not needed to plug in the heat strip as of this date so don't know if the adaptions I've made will do the job or not.

A very important thing I did last year and am doing again is to place a sill cock insulation foam cover over the city water entrance point on the trailer. These are available at hardware stores and the big boxes. They come with a plastic bolt that allows for easy attaching. A little duct tape to seal it from wind penetration and I'm ready for winter.

When I leave to come back to Boise I shut the heat strip off and drain the hose. In addition, I open the street-side bedside cabinet door which contains the supply pipe and pressure regulator (It froze several years ago and ruined the regulator so I'm cautious).

'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
If I recall, in a local camping supply store a few years ago, I saw a short length of plastic hose that was more rigid than ordinary water supply hose. The description on the label claimed it was safe to use heat tape on it. It was copper in color.

Valterra makes a similar product, but is black in color.

Save at RV Partscenter - RV Parts and Supply
2005 Bambi
1968 Trade Wind
2007 Ford F250 4x4 Crew
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
One year we camped in 15 deg weather with snow & ice storms the temps in the day time would usually get just above freezing.
I wrapped the hose with foam for plastic pipe. I also let the water trickle at night or if we were leaving for the day.

I used fiberglass and duct tape at the water turn on valve and at the connection on the RV and no more problems.

If I had of had any problems I would have used heat tape on the hose and at the dump valves they are only around 25W so I was not worried about the heat hurting the hose but I never found out.

I think the problem with the heat tape is metal pipe transfers heat down the pipe and on the hose it only protects where the tape is physically located.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote