Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

2006 25' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Freshwater tank questions

Hi everyone. I'm a brand new owner of a 2006 25 ft Classic and believe the freshwater tank sensor or related wiring is broken (tank shows empty even when full). Two questions:

1- What is the tank made of plastic or fiberglass?

2- If wiring checks out, can the sensor be replaced without a major repair?

Thanks for any responses and all the great info on the other threads. This forum is the greatest.

-PapaD
PapaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The tank is plastic, but I know nothing about replacing the sensors. I would suspect it's more a wiring issue than a sensor issue, however.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Do not assume it is not a sensor issue. My manual for my 87 Excella has lots of info about sensors and replacing them, so you should check if your manual does. And if not I suggest you buy the manual for the technical aspects of your 2008. In the old days the manuals were very detailed but I am not sure about the newer Airstreams so you need the manual that the guys in the shop have.
southsaglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
The tank sensors are notoriously unreliable. Once you determine wiring is not the issue (check the connections at the tank and at the panel ...they can be corroded) before replacing, try re-calibrating ... there is a process (you can probably find it on the Forums if your manual doesn't help)... at the worst case scenario they can be replaced.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have a 2008 Classic FB. The sensor wires from the waste and water tanks come up to where my water pump is located. They look like telephone wires. Each of my wires connects into its own coupler. Then each wire from the monitor panel connects to the ends of those coupler. The wires should be labeled. Verify the water tank wire from the monitor panel is connected to the labeled wire that goes down to the water tank. It sounds like the sensor is registering to the panel. You may want to reseat each cable.

Have you tried to recalibrate the Micropulse panel? If you have figured out which wires are which from above, disconnect the black and gray sensor wires. Start the calibration procedure. Hopefully you have the user manual to step you through it process. If not Google search for Micropulse manual. When you get to part to calibrate for empty put about 3 or 4 gallons of water in the tank. Then when its time to calibrate for full fill the tank up. Try to listen in the water fill when the water is getting near to the top then finish calibration. Hopefully it shows full now. With the panel set on the water tank reading, drain the water tank. Hopefully the panel lights will migrate down to empty.

If recalibration doesn't work it could be the sensor has failed. I can't reach down from the interior to locate my sensor so it may require someone to drop the water tank in order to replace the sensor. In that case it would be an expensive job. You may have to live with it. Micropulse is notorious for not working and many give up.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I just had sensors replaced in my grey and black water tanks. Sensors were about $65 each and labor was around $600.
firstwave is offline   Reply With Quote