Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Fresh water tanks leaks fixed!

Howdy!

Been getting ready a new to us 1988 Airstream Excella to hit the road. When I filled the fresh water tank for the first time I noticed a leak near are behind the fresh water drain between the roadside tires. I researched this forum and want to thank everyone who has gone before me in this area of repairs as the information was well used. I removed the fresh water tank inspection plate and found my first leak the large 1 & 1/2 drain plug. found a suitable replacement that aloud the inspection to be replaced. Next I found what appeared to be a leak at the tube going from the fresh water tank to the drain value. The drain value needed replacing so I started that job, and a job it turned out to be. In my research I did not see any mention the problem dealing with EXPANDING SPRAY FOAM". It had been sprayed in the area around the water lines making it difficult to get to any of the water lines. Finally clear some out only to fine the short hose between the tank and drain value had a hose clamp which was upside down. The drain value just broke off when I twisted it which turned out to be good. I used one of the tricks I read in my research and just tried turning the hose and clamp enough to get a tool on the clamp, it worked. The original hose had a hose clamp at the tank and a crimped clamp at the drain plug so I guess that's why it broke off. I replaced the hose along with two hose clamps and new drain. Good news no more leaks. Once again thanks for all the help I found when researching this topic on this great forum. Sorry for the long post.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
This place makes older AS Possible for "regular" yet, different people... I could never afford to keep mine alive if I had to rely on a "shop" to do what is needed! Glad you found a fix, I may be researching you after I fill my fresh tank for the first time (since purchase) in a few days!
captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote