Old 05-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
...We Escaped...

1970 23' Safari
Celo , North Carolina
Fresh Water Tank Size and Gauges

We recently purchased a 1970 23' Safari. It came to us without a control panel and I have been trying to work through the tank sensors on the fresh water tank.

First of all does anyone know how big the fresh water tank is, like how many gallons? We have the Safari Special Double with the side wet bath.

Here is what I did...
I filled the tank, and hot water heater COMPLETELY.

Then I wired a 9V battery to the driven sensor and then monitored the other sensors through a 100k resistor back to ground... I looked at the voltage being dropped over this resistor, simple voltage divider circuit...

Here is what I found, I am guessing at the sensors a bit as I can't access the tank and am working from the existing wires.

Full sensor showed voltage until I withdrew 20 gallons
1/2 full showed voltage until I withdrew another 15 gallons

after this I was able to withdraw another 10 gallons and the empty is still showing voltage, it never fell.

I was only able to get water out with the pump down to about 35 gallons, really just after the 1/2 full sensor tripped. The rest I got out by tilting the trailer up and draining the system through a drain valve.

All told it was about 45 gallons of water but I think 6 of it came from the hot water and it's empty now too, I checked.

So, it looks like I really only have two levels I can use, full and 1/2 full which is basically empty as far as the pump is concerned.

I've been thinking of putting on one of the capacitive meter systems, like the ones from snake river, but am concerned about the steel going around the bottom of the tank interfering with the sensor readings.

Any advice on working through useful level sensors would be appreciated, or anyone that knows for sure how much water this particular tank holds would be appreciated. I am trying to avoid just filling the tank to the brim, as it seems this is a 40 or more gallon tank.

Thanks for any help or guidance,
ED

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednspace View Post
We recently purchased a 1970 23' Safari. It came to us without a control panel and I have been trying to work through the tank sensors on the fresh water tank.

First of all does anyone know how big the fresh water tank is, like how many gallons? We have the Safari Special Double with the side wet bath.

Here is what I did...
I filled the tank, and hot water heater COMPLETELY.

Then I wired a 9V battery to the driven sensor and then monitored the other sensors through a 100k resistor back to ground... I looked at the voltage being dropped over this resistor, simple voltage divider circuit...

Here is what I found, I am guessing at the sensors a bit as I can't access the tank and am working from the existing wires.

Full sensor showed voltage until I withdrew 20 gallons
1/2 full showed voltage until I withdrew another 15 gallons

after this I was able to withdraw another 10 gallons and the empty is still showing voltage, it never fell.

I was only able to get water out with the pump down to about 35 gallons, really just after the 1/2 full sensor tripped. The rest I got out by tilting the trailer up and draining the system through a drain valve.

All told it was about 45 gallons of water but I think 6 of it came from the hot water and it's empty now too, I checked.

So, it looks like I really only have two levels I can use, full and 1/2 full which is basically empty as far as the pump is concerned.

I've been thinking of putting on one of the capacitive meter systems, like the ones from snake river, but am concerned about the steel going around the bottom of the tank interfering with the sensor readings.

Any advice on working through useful level sensors would be appreciated, or anyone that knows for sure how much water this particular tank holds would be appreciated. I am trying to avoid just filling the tank to the brim, as it seems this is a 40 or more gallon tank.

Thanks for any help or guidance,
ED
Fresh water should be 50 gallons, and the water heater model number will tell you how many gallons, but as I remember it's 10 gallons.

Andy

Old 05-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
...We Escaped...

1970 23' Safari
Celo , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Fresh water should be 50 gallons, and the water heater model number will tell you how many gallons, but as I remember it's 10 gallons.

Andy
Thanks Andy!

Our hot water heater is not original. I just went and looked to make sure, 6 gallons. So I guess, thats 50gal + 6gal = 56gal completely full (Wow lots O' water)

Since I was able to withdraw 45 total there is still 11 gallons hiding out somewhere. I heard an episode of the VAP where Tim mentions that his tank sags down in the middle, do you suppose this is whats happening?

11 gallons seems like a lot to lose, I drained the lines, and a used a small drain tube connected to the bottom of the tank. If there is still water in the tank that would explain why the empty sensor is still showing connection, however I am thinking its probably also at the same level as the driven or common one. IE empty means empty not almost empty.

Anyone got a photo of the sensor arrangement on this tank, or is it possible to access them without dropping the tank?

Thanks again for all the help!
ED
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednspace View Post
Thanks Andy!

Our hot water heater is not original. I just went and looked to make sure, 6 gallons. So I guess, thats 50gal + 6gal = 56gal completely full (Wow lots O' water)

Since I was able to withdraw 45 total there is still 11 gallons hiding out somewhere. I heard an episode of the VAP where Tim mentions that his tank sags down in the middle, do you suppose this is whats happening?

11 gallons seems like a lot to lose, I drained the lines, and a used a small drain tube connected to the bottom of the tank. If there is still water in the tank that would explain why the empty sensor is still showing connection, however I am thinking its probably also at the same level as the driven or common one. IE empty means empty not almost empty.

Anyone got a photo of the sensor arrangement on this tank, or is it possible to access them without dropping the tank?

Thanks again for all the help!
ED
The question is if the water tank is original, or has it been changed out?

Yes, the center of the old water tanks can collapse.

Andy
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
...We Escaped...

1970 23' Safari
Celo , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
The question is if the water tank is original, or has it been changed out?

Yes, the center of the old water tanks can collapse.

Andy

I was under the impression its the original tank. Or at least that is my assumption, but... you know what they say about assumptions.