Old 05-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #1

1978 31' Sovereign
Anchorage , Alaska
Fresh Water tank replacement?

Hello,
I'm new! Well I just bought a 78' 31' Soverign International. The fresh water tank is severly damaged. Is there a (DIY) do it yourself post that might tell me the best process to replace it? I did look here but didn't see one. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #2

1978 31' Sovereign
Anchorage , Alaska
So nobody has any instructions? Replacing the freshwater tank has to be somewhat common.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamnutz View Post
So nobody has any instructions? Replacing the freshwater tank has to be somewhat common.
Sadly, the 1978 service manual doesn't say a word about replacing the fresh water tank.

However, it's replaced from underneath the trailer. A plywood board must be removed from below the tank, then you will see the tank.You will see brackets that must be remove when your under the trailer.

Make sure the tank has been emptied before you start that project.

A replacement tank is available.

Andy
Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
We replaced our in our 72 Tradewind don't know if it's the same or not. We did it the easy way we cut the floor out. But if you crawl under the trailer you should see a place in the belly pan that is "drop down from the resst of the floor. There is a z-bar frame in the front held in with two bolts remove the two bolts, take off the front z bar, then you should be able to slide out the plywood that holds up the tank. the tank will drop down.

But first you would go under the sink and disconnet the water fill that comes into the trailer. The pump outlet,the vent, and the electros that tell the water level in the tank.

You can go to the tradewind section and click onto tradewins 70-76 and click onto Annette's folley and I think there are pictures of replacing our freshwater tank.

Hope this helps some.

Annette
Old 05-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #5

1965 17' Caravel
Portland , Oregon
speaking of replacing a freshwater tank...

where can I get a replacement for a '65 caravel tank? The dimensions are roughly 12"X12"X48". Are these readily available or do I need to get one that's close and then make it work? My other concern is where the fittings are located on the new tank. I would really rather not re-plumb the pump and freshwater lines to accomodate a new tank but maybe that's the only (or best) way to go...

Thanks for any help,

Cory
Old 05-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Try All-Rite.com. They make custom tanks to your specifications and will put the size and kind of fitting just where you want them.

Good luck.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have had my fresh water tank out of my 78 31' center bath Sovreign three times, twice to fix a leak and once to facilitate wheel alignment. The trailer was built in California. The tank resides in a metal enclosure that is held in place by numerous bolts around the perimeter, and is heavily caulked. I used a hot air gun to soften the caulk so it could be scraped off, and an impact wrench to remove the screws. A frame was made with 2 X 4's and casters with sufficient height to allow a floor jack to roll under it to lower the tank/enclosure into the frame. The trailer has to be raised high enough on jack stands to allow the whole rig to roll out from under.

Other than that, nothing to it.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Freshwater Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Sadly, the 1978 service manual doesn't say a word about replacing the fresh water tank.

However, it's replaced from underneath the trailer. A plywood board must be removed from below the tank, then you will see the tank.You will see brackets that must be remove when your under the trailer.

Make sure the tank has been emptied before you start that project.

A replacement tank is available.

Andy
Regarding Andy's comment on being sure the tank is empty, I lost all of my water on our way to a dry camp weekend and then to a three day stay at a full hookup site. It seems that my check valves in my pump were not sealing properly, and when the tank was being removed, I was surprised to find it full. To say it was unwieldy is mild. That was not the word(s) that I used as it was happening.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM   #9

1978 31' Sovereign
Anchorage , Alaska
Hey thanks alot for all the comments guys. I'm running a hose for now. I should test the tank first. The outide metal case is ripped. I don't really know if the internal one is damaged or not yet. Was that a 40 gallon tank? Also any suggestions on the best water heater, system?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #10

1991 35' Airstream 350
Torrance , California
Hi
I`m looking for 70gal fresh water tank and 70gal Fuel tank my RV Airstream is 85 290
how to get both tank ?

please let me know

tenma427
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You can look here, they have a ton of stuff in different sizes.

RV Holding Tanks

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote