Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
Frank S
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Keyholeren--lewster has the fix I would use, with the sheet metal screw, however I would add a washer to allow more surface area for the Sikaflex to stick to. Roughing up the tank surface around the hole, and keeping it clean and dry is very important if you want a good stick.--Frank S

Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1979 31' Excella 500
Edmond , Oklahoma
I have a freshwater tank with cracks in it. After a considerable amount of research I decided that the best thing for me was to send it to Inca Plastics which is the original manufacture of the tank. They gave me an estimate of 40 dollars to repair and check the tank. To date I have $35 in shipping which includes the return trip and 10 dollars in cardboard to build a custom box to ship it in. If all goes as planned I'll have less than a hundred bucks in a factory reman tank.

Dano57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by Keyholeren
Thanks Lew. I have called around to the local RV shops and you would have thought I was asking them to repair the space shuttle! Apparently no one around here has that skill set! Maybe I need to learn.

If you want to experiment yourself, Harbor Freight has a plastic welder (air operated) that is an EXACT copy of a $600 model made and sold in the US. IIRC, they get about $40 for it, complete with air regulator. It might be worth it just to have one around. I think the welding rods are $4.95 for a pack of assorted types.

The operation is not hard to do, but you should definitely practice a bit joining some scrap pieces of PVC or ABS pipe before you hit the big time!!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
Thanks Lew.

We do have a Harbor Freight here. I might have to check that out today. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work.

Keyholeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #19
Frank S
1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Keyholeren--The Sept 2006 issue of "Trailer Life" has an article on page 94, "The Tank Amendments"--Restoring your leaky holding tanks to tip-top shape. It details repair methods with photos, and lists sources for materials.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
Exclamation Buy a new tank ...

Don't screw around with it, if you value your time.

When I get to my other computer (and remember) I will post or PM you with a vendor that will ship your size for about $80.00.

Email me a reminder.

NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote