Old 02-16-2015, 09:05 AM   #1

1991 34' Limited
freeland , Washington
Fresh Water Tank Removal

I just purchased a 1991 34 foot Limited Classic and when I fill the fresh water tank I see water dripping out of the pan that protects the tank underneath the trailer. Does anybody know how difficult it is to replace the tank ? John

Old 03-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Wellton , Arizona
I have a 1990 and mine is doing the same thing I removed the access panel and fixed the plug but it still leaks I'm searching the forums as well

Old 04-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

I have to replace the tank of our new tradewind from 1959, some ideas?
Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
First, check the drain valve to make sure it isn't the source of the leak. If the valve is OK, then you will need to drop the belly pan to see the tank and make an assessment. If you are not comfortable dropping the belly pan yourself, seek professional assistance.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Can anyone give any information on what and how dropping the belly pan under the fresh water tank is accomplished?
Old 04-09-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
The pan under the tank supports the tank so you will need to disconnect all the lines going to the tank and use a jack to lower it all . I would check all connections to your tank before you go through all that work for leaks . You will need to raise the trailer high enough to do the job .
Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Sagle , Idaho
Yes, I would only drop the pan as a last resort. My question is who can provide some details about the tools and process of dropping a pan? Is a cutting torch used or is it wrenches or screwdrivers or what?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The belly pan is held on by simple pop rivets. Its pretty easy and self evident what you need to do to get it down. You drill out the rivets that you need to gain access and voila! Look on YouTube for videos on how to drill out and then reinstall pop rivets. If you are reasonably handy, it's not a big deal. If you are all thumbs, then I would find someone who can do it for you.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The big metal box covering my fresh water tank is secured by, I believe, 12 bolts. If you support the box, and remove the bolts, the box should come free. My tank was held up by two straps as well. Make sure you disconnect the sensor wires , the intake and vent tubes and the drain.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome IslandTime. You have an Airstream similar to mine, but newer. Owning an Airstream involves a lot of "projects".

Well, I just started a new thread "Fresh water leak from hell". That's exactly the way I feel about the puddle under my Airstream. Our Airstreams are alike in that regard too.

First, there is an access panel on the fresh water pan below the drain valve connections. I used this access panel to replace my fresh water drain valve. On my 86 Limited, there is a 1 1/4 big drain plug (not leaking), and two 1/2" pipe thread spin weld fittings. One is for the drain valve, and one is for the inlet to the 12v pump. Your can see them. Neither were leaking on my trailer.

Possibly in the wardrobe or galley, you will find a small hole in the subfloor with three gray plastic tubing lines. My leak is coming from one of these three lines. I can't see it, or certainly can't fix any leak in this area. I'm perplexed right now.

The fresh water tank is surrounded by a big metal pan that is bolted to the frame. The fill hose and tank vent line come out of the top of the tank. The 12v pump "draw pipe" is located on the bottom of the tank. Removing this tank located between the axles would be a nightmare. I may have to do it to fix my leak.

First, find the source of your dripping. Think about these tests:

1. Pressurize your system with city water without any water in the fresh water tank. Run water in the galley and bath faucets until the air is bled out, then stop. Keep the pressure on and come back in an hour. It is leaking? Mine is.

2. Disconnect city water, fill your fresh water tank. Do not pressurize anything. Faucets open, no water coming out, no pressure in the lines. Come back in an hour. Is it leaking? Mine was not, so it ain't the fresh water tank or it's lower connections.

3. Now pressurize your system with the 12v pump. Run water in the galley and bath faucets to bleed the air, then stop. Keep the pump "on'. Come back in an hour. Is it leaking? Mine is.

Hope this helps. Working together we may figure out where this leak is coming from.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1504 Gally Plumbing.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	236379