Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Fresh water tank relief valve "bumps" above floor?

Fitting the fresh water tank on a new chassis and getting ready to put the plywood on the floor and this is peculiar.

Everything seems to fit great. Top of tank more or less level with top of frame. Crossmember fits in groove in middle of tank.

But, on the top of the tank the bumps that have the relief valves on them stick above the floor level.

I was thinking, ok, no problem, cut a hole there and have access to all of the tank business from above. No sweat.

Is there a problem here?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
As long as that which is above the floor isn't in the way of future furniture, panels or walkways - you should be fine.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel there should be an open area there for access to all the tank connections and the low point drains. The opening will be under the kitchen cabinet. Didn't your old floor have a section cut out there?
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Daniel there should be an open area there for access to all the tank connections and the low point drains. The opening will be under the kitchen cabinet. Didn't your old floor have a section cut out there?
I had to lol. This is a picture of the floor in that area. Is that little square cut out the place?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	batterybox.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	119569  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel that's the right location. However my access hole is quite a bit longer and just about as wide. I'm not at my trailer now or I'd get you a pic. If you go to post #77 in my thread you can see a couple of pics of the new floor showing the hole. They aren't closeups but you will be able to see the location. You can see the larger hole for the battery box and then the water tank access hole. I'll get you a closeup when I get back home.
Chris
Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
I see the hole. I see it now. The next time I have a question I'll look at the pics more closely.

I noticed on the angle iron piece that goes under the door on one end it has part of it sticking up. What is that for?

Thanks, Daniel
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel questions are no problem however answers are expensive. Your'e tab is getting high now. LOL.
I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding the piece of angle under the door. It's basically L shaped and one side of the L sits horizontally on the outriggers on either side of the door and the other side points down. When looking at the trailer from the curbside it will be a vertical face across the door opening. A picture of what you are talking about will help.
Chris.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Chris,

It is this picture here. Is this the angle iron for under the door? It looks kinda like a u channel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curbside in front of door.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	119619  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel That's not the same thing as the one from my trailer. I think you're right that is just U channel. The aluminium angle iron from mine is a lot thicker guage maybe 1/4" and the vertical edge is about 1 to 1.5" and the horizontal edge is approx. 3" wide. The thickness is about the same as the lower edge of the door frame.
Chris.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Lol.. Chris, this is your picture! What is it?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
x

XXXX , XXXX
Daniel I thought the floor finish looked familiar. That is a shot of the C channel on the curbside forward of the door, between the door and the curbside rearward edge of the front end cap. If you llok closely at the rear of that C channel you can see the release handle for the steps. The aluminium angle is right behind there under the floor. I think in some other shots i gave you showing the door and step area you can see the angle. You can see the vertical edge with a couple of snaps attached to it. The snaps were for a screen room of my old awning. I think the shots are in you other thread.
Chris.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
water tank hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
Fitting the fresh water tank on a new chassis and getting ready to put the plywood on the floor and this is peculiar.

Everything seems to fit great. Top of tank more or less level with top of frame. Crossmember fits in groove in middle of tank.

But, on the top of the tank the bumps that have the relief valves on them stick above the floor level.

I was thinking, ok, no problem, cut a hole there and have access to all of the tank business from above. No sweat.

Is there a problem here?
I have a 31' soverign and am refurbishing it ans this is what I have for access if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	119649  
Viper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
That does help, thanks. It is a pretty good sized access hole.

I think what was throwing me, besides the fact that the PO had a hole there just for the bumps, was looking at the service manual and seeing what-all goes in under the kitchen sink.. Jeez it is like.. everything is jammed up under there..

What a jammed up mess is this going to be under the kitchen sink?