Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Fresh water tank question

Not a fix-it situation, but I don't understand how to use it. I put about 20 gallons of water in it, turned the pump on (in the bathroom) and nothing comes out of the faucets. I hear the pump running however. Why is that? Am I forgetting something?
Old 11-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
sounds like a "fix-it" situation to me, because its broken!

the pump should pressurize the pipes, then shut itself off. when you open up a faucet, water should then come out...the pump will turn itself on again in an effort to keep the lines pressurized. when you close the faucet, the pump should continue running for a few more seconds, then shut itself off when the pressure in the lines builds back up.

so it sounds like your pump is running ok, but not pumping anything. It could be that the pump needs to be re-built, or replaced...the diaphrams are worn out, etc. not too difficult to do. replacing the pump is easy, too. I replaced the original in mine, and only then did I find out that the intake line had a crack in it...so the pump was just sucking air when it was on. I installed the new pump anyway...never checked the old one. its sitting on a shelf in my basement, but for all I know, it works fine.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It sounds like it is either sucking air, or has a bad diaphram. You likely have a Sureflo pump. Rebuild kits are available, and even a new pump is not a prohibitive expense.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

That makes sense.
How do I replace the pump, where is it located?
Where do I get a replacement? Online? Ebay maybe?
Old 11-03-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Had the same thing..

ipso_facto
I had the same problem with my '84 when I first got it..In my case, the unit had sat for nearly 15 yrs.. it turned out to be the bass pressure valve, which is right next to the stainless steel inline filter. I just simply took it out at the time..(I wanted water~!)
FWIW.. the pump in my unit, which is close to yours in age, is located under the floor in the main closet` just lift the false floor..

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Camping world has them and there are a few models to choose from. It all depends on how quiet you want it, what GPH you want and how many amps does it draw.

Cheaper = noiser, bigger amp draw, and adequete flow 35 PSI

More expensive = quieter, lower draw, and better flow 45PSI

Very expensive = Whisper quiet, Huge draw, waterfall flow.(you need tobe careful some of the new ones will go to 100PSI)

Before you spend ths $$ on a pump check the intake strainer. It may be cracked and allowing air into the pickup line from the tank.

Pump is sometimes located under the kitchen sink mounted to a shelf on the interior wall. replacement is normally a couple of hose clamps, a few screws, an a wire or two.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Make sure your drain valves aren't open, look under the trailer with the pump running for water coming out.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Mine seems to have a hard time priming. I usually hook up the hose to get water/pressure in the lines and turn on the pump for a minute. I then disconnect the water hose and the pump is working fine. It just needs a kick start.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
you might also look and see if there is an inline filter somewhere that is clogged. Mine had a nasty clog when I got it, and I replaced the filter only, and all is well.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 08:16 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Success, kind of. I closed the pipe where water hose is connected to (water was coming out of it) and I was able to get some water to come out after 30 seconds. The flow however was not as strong as when connected to the shore water. Probably 1/4 strong at best and kind of irregular. Do I have air trapped in the lines? Should I connect the main water hose and get all the air out?
Old 11-05-2003, 08:22 AM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Sounds like your in line check valve has gotten stuck open, that is why the water is coming out the inlet. This is a typical problem, a cap is the easy resolution.

As for flow, what you describe is the normal way water flows when on the pump. If you want a smoother higher volume flow you would either have to upgrade to a higher volume pump, or add an air bladder into the system. The pulsing is normal, lower pressure is normal.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 11-05-2003, 08:35 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

in line check valve has gotten stuck open

What is that? Where is it located?

What are my options for increasing the flow, meaning what's the easiest thing I could do? How popular are the mods you mentioned?

Also, where the filter located? The pump is under the closet floor, at least that's where it's noise is coming from.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:57 AM   #13
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
the in line check valve is just before the pressure regulator on the city water inlet line. Depending on where your city water comes in and floorplan it could be in a cabinet or under a bed.

The water pum is normally accessable from inside th caoch. Sometimes they are a bit clever in where they are hidden. Run the pump and try to find the noise. You may have to do some dissassembly to find it.

The best way to get better and smoother pressure is to replace the pump. I went with a VSD (variable speed) Sureflow that will do 4.5 GPM and shuts off at 45 psi. The flow is smooth and the noise is minimal comapred to a normal pump. You want to use a pump designed for multiple fixtures.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 11-05-2003, 10:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

The best way to get better and smoother pressure is to replace the pump. I went with a VSD (variable speed) Sureflow that will do 4.5 GPM and shuts off at 45 psi.

What GPM is the default pump on my unit?
What's the best source of these pumps? Ebay currently has one rated for 2.8gpm. .

I wonder if I should just leave it alone, given that the fresh water tank capacity is pretty limited and 4.5gpm will empty it pretty quickly.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:31 AM   #15
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Here is a link to the one I bought

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...m?skunum=21397

I am a bit lerry of the stuff on e-bay since many of the manufacturers have multiple lines with differing specs. This way I know what I am getting. Beware of the 5.8 GMP (gallons per min) model. Shut off pressure is 100 PSI.

I do not know what the original pump GPM was, but I would guess it is in the 2.5 3 GMP range.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 11-05-2003, 01:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

The current version of the pump you have is most likely: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...3&skunum=20066

They are inexpensive, reliable, noisy, offer direct replacement, and fairly low pressure. This is not altogether a bad thing as, if I recall, you still have the original polybutylene plumbing.

The variable speed pumps are a nice upgrade, but the chief benefit comes if there are two people using the trailer, ie someone at the sink when you are in the shower. Oh, and they are a lot quieter, as well.

The higher capacity pumps also can pull a lot of amps. Probably more than your wiring can stand. To use one you need a smaller guage wire and probably a solenoid control from the switches. The Aquajet ES is the only one I know of that can use the existing wiring.

I personally would not buy a used pump unless it was salvage from a real late model RV. And maybe not even then. Who knows where it has been or how it has been used?

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

I am still thinking if a faster pump is worthwhile at all, in my situation, may not be.