Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
gilbert , South Carolina
fresh water tank question

I just dropped the fresh water tank on my 76 sovereign project today. There is a piece of ductwork from the furnace running down into the cavity in the middle of the tank. Does anyone know the purpose of this duct? And can I get by without it. Thanks for anyones help.
chris's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Pictures?

Could be a breather tube, or it could be used for freeze protection. Take a pic and post it it might help.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris's 67
I just dropped the fresh water tank on my 76 sovereign project today. There is a piece of ductwork from the furnace running down into the cavity in the middle of the tank. Does anyone know the purpose of this duct? And can I get by without it. Thanks for anyones help.
It's most likely the total loss freeze protection system that Airstream uses...hot air from the furnace blows into the tank's cavity to keep the water from freezing.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
fresh water tank question

Greetings Chris!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris's 67
What you are seeing is one of the sales points for Airstreams. The ducted furnace provides heat via ducts to the fresh water holding tank compartments as well as the waste water holding tank compartments. The theory is that this additional warmth can help to make cool/cold weather camping a bit more comfortable. I know that I was happy to have all of my ducts connected to the new furnace in my Overlander -- it was comfortable into early November in Northern Illinois while I was waiting for possession of my house.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Ducts

That is how it is in mine also.They just added a smaller 1 to 2 inch tube and ran it across and aimed it towards a hole in the floor where my fresh water tank is.They have little holeS in the tank covers and I can see out of one of them.Pretty neat and gives you an idea of how simple and complex these things are built.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
You found the secret mouse super highways; see any rodent trace at all remove and hose ducts out - go to quarter carwash!

When reinstalling make sure 1/2" mesh hardware cloth gets installed at vent openings; What I found on my 73 near brought tears to my eyes, the factory duct tape loose and dunes of mouse doody at through-floor BT heat vent areas and curves in the ducts...