Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #41

1992 34' Excella
1972 31' Sovereign
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I am also having fits with the valve as well. The original valve started leaking where the line between the valve and the tank was crimped onto the valve barb. I replaced the valve and hose with a JR Products 3.8-1/2 inch drain cock part no 03182 and 1/2 inch reinforced hose from the hardware store. I had no trouble clamping the hose to the tank barb, but have tried twice to get the hose tight on the valve barb and it still leaks. I have never had so much futile work tied up in less than $5 worth of parts! What is the best type of hose and clamp to use here? It also is almost impossible to get to the clamp adjacent to the valve, so I plan to attach the hose before installing into the tank cover-even it it means expanding the hole behind the valve. Thanks, Julian H.
Julian H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:09 AM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Historical info on this site is awesome. Thought I had a very serious water tank issue in our 1988 Excel 1000 32' until getting on the forum and finding this thread (among others) that detailed to a "T" what I found when I removed the inspection plate. The plug had completely fallen out with disintegrated threads. Called Airstream Plant in Ohio to get part numbers. The always friendly staff said it was too old for their current catalog but asked for pics to help determine if they still carried it. In the meantime I will head down to local plumbing supply to pick up temp plug and new petcock and begin to clean up this mess. Thanks John HD for your original post and all the others that have contributed along the way.
coleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #43
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ace hardware carries an identical petcock as what the Airstream factory will sell you. $5

The big drain plug if original will shrink over time. The factory replacement is a different material and fits better the first time without multiple wraps of tape or any goop.
Truvalue hardware has a brass petcock that is identical in form and function, but I wouldn't go that route as road salts and other corossive elements can quickly render it useless.
In this case, I think plastic is good.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote