Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Littleton , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
Fresh Water Tank Overfilling

Is it possible the check valve on the water pump can fail, causing the city water connection to fill the fresh water tank? We are hooked up to city water and our fresh tank is full. We try to empty that tank and it continues to read full. Same thing when we use the pump. Even a long shower, using the pump, leaves the fresh water tank reading full. For the last 2 days, during the afternoon heat, the overflow valve at the tank fill location has been spilling water out of the trailer, down the side of the airstream and onto the ground Hpw can this happen.
__________________

__________________
Twotravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 404
Happens a lot. First, turn off the city connection completely or better disconnect. Turn water pump on and use the water in the Freash water tank until all gone. Then re connect with city water. Sometimes the check valve gets stuck. It isn't a real big problem and most of the time it will fix itself by turning on the Water Pump for a while. It may not happen again for months, other times it happens weekly.
__________________

__________________
Lauri
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' Flying Cloud
Littleton , Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 10
Thanks. We followed your advice and the problem seems to have been resolved, at least for now. Nothing unwanted is going into the fresh water tank.
__________________
Twotravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,704
Great news. If it happens again, just turn the pump on and off a few times, then hook up to city water and turn it on and off a few times, then the pump on and off few times. The grit usually dislodges itself.

To prevent grit from getting into your water system, you should always use an inline filter in the hose like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-T...er+filter+hose

. . . whether you are filling the water tank OR using the hose for city water.

Although most folks consider it redundant, we also use an inline water pressure regulator like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40055-B...1WPXZFB5WRAFN7

Belts and suspenders . . .



Happy Trails!

Peter
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great news. If it happens again, just turn the pump on and off a few times, then hook up to city water and turn it on and off a few times, then the pump on and off few times. The grit usually dislodges itself.

To prevent grit from getting into your water system, you should always use an inline filter in the hose like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-T...er+filter+hose

. . . whether you are filling the water tank OR using the hose for city water.

Although most folks consider it redundant, we also use an inline water pressure regulator like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40055-B...1WPXZFB5WRAFN7

Belts and suspenders . . .



Happy Trails!

Peter
I use a Valtera regulator, which is set at 50-55 psi. More flow to go.
__________________
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 30' Classic
Lumberton , Mississippi
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Lyman
Well glad to see someone else has seem problem as me. Sometimes hook up to city water a few days at a time and fresh water gauge stays okay. Sometimes hook up to city water it will fill up fresh water tank to point it will over flo at fill up point.
Shut off city water run pump a while than back on city will usually be okay. This is fine as long as on sewer site. But if not you would fill holding tank pretty fast. So if not on sewer than just use tank drain than refill. So far if this is only problem I have I am a happy camper. I have 2017 Classic model.
__________________
Lyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
I use a Valtera regulator, which is set at 50-55 psi. More flow to go.
No need to use an external water pressure regulator as all AS have them built into the city water inlet.
__________________
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotravelers View Post
Is it possible the check valve on the water pump can fail, causing the city water connection to fill the fresh water tank? We are hooked up to city water and our fresh tank is full. We try to empty that tank and it continues to read full. Same thing when we use the pump. Even a long shower, using the pump, leaves the fresh water tank reading full. For the last 2 days, during the afternoon heat, the overflow valve at the tank fill location has been spilling water out of the trailer, down the side of the airstream and onto the ground Hpw can this happen.
Make sure that your water pump is OFF when connected to city water or it will fill the on board water tank and "leak" out of the overflow. I have even filled my on board tank from empty while at the RV park by leaving the pump on.
__________________
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,003
You could install a ball valve by the pump so this can't happen.

Only issue is then you need to remember the valve when you switch between city water and tank.
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
No need to use an external water pressure regulator as all AS have them built into the city water inlet.
True about the built-in water pressure regulators in modern day AS, but they have been known to fail, and let pressure surges reach the plumbing system.

No harm in using a belt and suspenders approach, per this earlier comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
Although most folks consider it redundant, we also use an inline water pressure regulator . . .
. . .
Belts and suspenders . . .
. . .
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Make sure that your water pump is OFF when connected to city water or it will fill the on board water tank and "leak" out of the overflow. I have even filled my on board tank from empty while at the RV park by leaving the pump on.
In most AS, this would not be considered standard or normal IMO. With city water and pump on, the anti-back-flow check valve should still prevent water from back-flowing into the water tank. Some models may have intentionally offered this method for filling the tank, but most AS do not have it. [IMO]

Indeed, some AS owners manuals have specific instructions for turning the pump on, when the city water pressure is low, in order to get better flow for a shower etc..

Peter
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 5,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
You could install a ball valve by the pump so this can't happen.

Only issue is then you need to remember the valve when you switch between city water and tank.
FYI in some models this would be a major pain in the neck, as the pump and filter area is quite inaccessible.

Preventing the failure of the check valve is the best medicine, by using an inline water filter to keep grit out of the check valve.
__________________
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #13
Obviously-NOT
 
james.mileur's Avatar
 
2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 403
At my Camp Host gig in Utah, the DNR staff recommended a regulator at the hydrant to protect your hose from the sometimes 110+ psi water pressure.
__________________
James Mileur, HY80-2-Al,
2017 Classic Twin, 2016 RAM 3500 Megacab, ProPride hitch
james.mileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master
 
AnnArborBob's Avatar
 
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,740
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
No need to use an external water pressure regulator as all AS have them built into the city water inlet.
While this is true, not placing a pressure regulator at the point where the hose connects to the campground spigot leaves the hose vulnerable. We were once in a campground in Utah during a hot spell and a hose fitting explosively separated from the hose due to the increased pressure from the hot water. We've used a pressure regulator at the spigot ever since and have not had any issues. Plus the particular regulator we use has an easier mechanism for tightening and loosening the connection to the spigot which alone is a good reason to use it.
__________________

__________________
Bob Martel
WBCCI# 5766
AnnArborBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to keep fresh water tank fresh and tasting good Driftin Di Fresh Water Systems 24 05-19-2017 04:45 PM
Use Black Water Tank as Aux Fresh Water Tank? DaytonaDan Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures 20 10-26-2016 07:53 AM
waste water tank and fresh water tank size 1964 safari jwmonty72 Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 1 06-28-2016 04:21 PM
Making sure Fresh Water Tank is 'fresh'? ATE123 Sprinter and B-van Forum 15 07-21-2015 08:51 PM
Using a fresh water tank as a grey tank? Mike&Ali Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 14 09-16-2010 10:50 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.