Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
Fresh water tank not filling

2000 Excella
When filling fresh water the water pours out from all over the top of the tank and does not go into the tank. The fill tube looks good at fill point
Steve
sgnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
So you are saying that you are standing outside of the trailer, you open the FW fill port, and say, insert a garden hose and turn on the water. You then go inside the trailer and see water pouring out all over the top of the tank, but not going into it?

If that is what you are describing, how is water getting out of the fill tube and "all over the top of the tank?"

So, assuming that the fill port on the outside fo the trailer is in good condition (they are often made of plastic and crack with age), and that the tube from the fill port down to the tank is in good shape with solid connections on each end, then next culprit I would look for is usually there are one or two "breather" tubes that also go from the top of the tank up to the fill port. This breather is to allow air to escape the tank while you are putting water into it. If someone has removed the breather hose altogether, then I could imagine water coming up through the hole on the tank (or just pouring down from the fill port), or if they only disconnected it at the bottom, then water could be coming down the breather and pouring all over the top of the tank as described.

If you are trying to fill the FW tank by, for example, dumping a bucket of water into the fill port, then the likely hook of you getting water into the breather line is much higher.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....👍

In our experience...the slower you go the better it fills...too fast and it spills. 👍
Very small vent tube.🥴
Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgnen View Post
2000 Excella
When filling fresh water the water pours out from all over the top of the tank and does not go into the tank. The fill tube looks good at fill point
Steve
Could you please describe in detail how you can see the water pouring “out from all over the top of the tank?”

Is your AS under renovation with flooring removed which lets you actually see the top of the water tank? Can you see where the water is leaving the fill tube?

More details would help the diagnosis. Has this happened before or is this a new-to-you trailer perhaps?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Duxbury , MA
Doug Hart

If I understand you correctly, the water backs out the fill tube? I have that problem with my 1988 Classic Limited. I have an endoscope so I put it down the fill tube and saw that the flexible hose inside had collapsed. My current solution is adapt a piece of narrow tubing to the white hose and to fill it VERY slowly. It takes about 45 minutes to fill the tank but eventually it fills.

I am not yet sure how to actually fix the problem.
DougHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
Thanks
We would fill normally with a hose just inside the fill area and never had a problem, now when we fill, you can see water pouring from all over, so something has come apart.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
Water pours everywhere now whenever we try to fill and does not go into the tank
Old 06-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #8
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
Pours out as soon as we fill
Old 06-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
No renos. Normal fill with hose which was working previously. We just see water everywhere when trying to fill and nothing gets into the tank
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sounds like you need to dig into whatever cabinetry is hiding the fill tube so that you can actually see the tube top to bottom, and understand where it is broken or has become separated from the tank.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . . so something has come apart.
Yup, sounds that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Sounds like you need to dig into whatever cabinetry is hiding the fill tube so that you can actually see the tube top to bottom, and understand where it is broken or has become separated from the tank.

good luck!
Any plumber or electrician friends with a scope, per Doug? Rent one? [edit -- see PS2]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougHart View Post
. . .
. . . I have an endoscope so I put it down the fill tube and saw that the flexible hose inside had collapsed.
. . .

When filling with water, be careful not to jam the hose down the fill spout, but instead hold it free in the opening, and use a low volume flow. This way air can come back up the fill tube, without needing the air vent smaller tubing IMO.

If no water will go down the fill tube, maybe an animal crawled down there and got stuck?

Or the fill tube connection at the top of the tank failed, and shifted from road action? Somehow you need to get a look-see.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Do you know that you have a 10-15 minute time window for editing your posts, via the button below?

PS2 -- May be a good time to buy a new tool? The Milwaukee line of M12 tools is great, check out this scope:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ele...gateway&sr=8-1
Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
2000 Excella
Steve
No need for a scope. You can see the end of the filler tube by removing the access door in the bottom of the FW tank cover.
I had the exact same problem with my Excella. I just finished repairing it.
The filler tube was decomposed and split right where it connected to the fitting at the tank.
I did not drop the tank cover, because the fresh water low point drains are routed through the cover with no access to the connection points. I was able to enlarge the existing access hole in the FW tank cover, enough to get my hand inside to unscrew the clamp and disconnect the 1-3/8" filler tube from the tank fitting.
Then I used a putty knife, pushing it in between the skin and the filler door, to cut the caulk and adhesive tape. It was difficult to pry loose, because it is caulked inside the wall, but I removed the filler door and tube. The vent tube was still connected, but I was able to disconnect it from the back of the door from the top side. Then I reinstalled the old door with a new filler tube
Sorry, I did not take photos.

I ordered a 3' x 1-3/8" rv tank filler hose. There was a small bit left when cut to length.
https://www.amazon.com/Fill-Hose-Con...omotive&sr=1-3

ps:
I started a thread, asking for advice. There is a photo here that helped me understand the water pipe low point drains. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...ml#post2229356
Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
. . .
. . . You can see the end of the filler tube by removing the access door in the bottom of the FW tank cover.
. . .
Great suggestions, Alan, however sgnen's 30' might have a different floor plan? Can you describe where your access door is, and how you accessed it?

Peter
Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Great suggestions, Alan, however sgnen's 30' might have a different floor plan? Can you describe where your access door is, and how you accessed it?

Peter
I owned a 30' 1999 Excella before the two trailers I own now, so I am familiar with the layout of his. The bedroom, closet, hall and bath are the same as my 34'. The option of queen or twin does not change the wall layout. The extra 4' in the 34' vs the 30' is in the kitchen and living room. The more important difference is the positioning of 3 axles vs 2, which moves the water tank a little bit. Though, in both trailers the water fill tube is over the wheel well beneath the shower area.

The access opening cover is on the bottom of the tank cover, between the tank drain and the low point drains. It's roughly 5" x 8", from memory.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
No renos. Normal fill with hose which was working previously. We just see water everywhere when trying to fill and nothing gets into the tank
Have you seen Alan's suggested path for finding the city water fill spout tube, and maybe your leaks?

Good luck,

Peter
Old 06-17-2019, 05:51 AM   #16
Excellent

2000 30' Excella
Paris , Ontario
Thanks
Nothing visible from inside. All I can describe is ater water coming from all over when filling with the hose
Old 06-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
You will not see the filler tube from the inside.

Look where the filler door, on the outside, is in relationship to the shower seat, inside. That filler hose is running beneath the shower seat. The only way to get the hose loose from the tank is from beneath, unless you want to do major demolition to the inside. The only way I found was to get the hose out is to pull it out from behind the water filler door.

Take the access cover off of the bottom of water tank cover and look inside? There were only four screws holding mine on.

Without jacking up the trailer the only way I could glimpse inside and see the tube was using a hand held mirror and flashlight.
The only way I could see enough to understand what I needed to do was to jack up the trailer and get my face next to the opening so I could look inside.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:10 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
May be time to get or borrow a scope?

Peter

[Post #11]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . .
PS2 -- May be a good time to buy a new tool? The Milwaukee line of M12 tools is great, check out this scope:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ele...gateway&sr=8-1