Old 08-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
Decatur , Alabama
Fresh Water tank level indicator 79 28F

my fresh water tank level indicators, 4 lights, went from 1 to 4 lit with the tank empty. I'm on the road in Oregon with my 79 28 ft international no big problem but I would like to know how the sensors operate so I can narrow down the trouble shooting to the control panel or the wiring.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The problem could also be the sensors in the tank.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Was it shortly after driving when a little water could have sloshed around and wet the sensors.
The sensors themselves are essentially nothing more than stainless steel bolts through the side of the tank with wires attached. One sensor corresponding to each light on the indicator, plus one. When you push the button to take a reading it applies electricity to that sensors.. If there is water between the common ground sensor( the extra one) and other sensor the display panel detects the electrical charge and lights up the corresponding light. It doesn't take much, if the side of the tank is simply wet it can be enough to complete the circuit, which is what causes reading problems on black and gray tanks.
See if letting it sit for a little bit helps.

The wiring itself is pretty straight forward. From where they leave the back of the panel to its basically just wire to a inline connector that just continues from there to the tank. The connector lets you disconnect the wires to remove the tank without having to unscrew the sensor connections. If you look above the street side end of the tank from inside the trailer you should see a hole in the floor that the fill hose, suction and vent tube pass. There will also be a bundle of wires. You should be able to pull the wires up gently to get to the connector. If the connector got wet or is disconnected it could cause all the lights to light up. Clear as mud right.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
Decatur , Alabama
Thanks the trailer has been setting around
salem or since Friday plenty warm, this morning the 1/4 light was off with the other three on Im still looking for the connector lots of stuff to move. Question i could see if the connector was wet causing all the lights to light but if the connector was disconnected wouldnt there be no lights no circuits would be completed?
Thanks again for the info
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Fresh Water tank level indicator 79 28F

😀 right answer, wrong thread...
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If the connector is disconnected one side has male pins sticking out unprotected, if they were touching metal or water it could complete the circuit. I can't remember which side has the male or female connection though. Theoretically the male should be tank side, but I'm not 100 percent positive.