Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Fresh Water Tank Leak-Now What?

I have now discovered why we ran out of water so quickly on our recent boondocking trip. I also believe this is why the water pump ran for a second or two twice per hour. We have a pretty sizable fresh water tank leak.

I can clearly see where the leak is coming out underneath the trailer. The tank appears to be galvanized. Is this the case? Can it be fixed, or must it be replaced? What will I find for parts on the now 18 year old 1990? I am hoping I do not need to replace the tank, but I will await the advise I am soon the receive from all of you.
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
a leaking tank won't cause the water pump to cycle; from the tank to the pump is a suction line. the pump will run when the pressure in the other end of the system gets too low...so I'd bet your leak isn't in the "tank"; its in a supply line between the pump and your fixtures. somewhere....

I doubt the tank is galvanized. probably plastic, sitting inside a metal box.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
The pump is now off, and the water drips are still dripping. Where do I even begin to research this leak? If the galvanized pan is what I visually see, then the water must be collecting at the lowest level of the "pan", and coming out there, but is starting somewhere else. I guess I need some assistance on where/how to find the source of the leak.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A tank leak should not cause the pump to cycle on and off. The pump will turn on when the pressure drops on the output side of the pump. This can be caused by a leak in the plumbing or water going backwards through the pump. If you fill the tank with the pump turned off, does it still leak out the bottom of the trailer?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Richard & All: Yes, the pump is off, and the tank still leaks. Or at least the galvanized "pan" is where I see the water coming out, and it is at the lowest level of the pan. Since I have always been on city water before last week (bought AS 12/31/07), this is the first time I noticed an issue (tank went empty in 2 days). Best as I can see from a few feet away, it appears water has been coming out of this hole in the pan for some time now, as I might even see the brown/red of rust in the pan. What now?

Thanks, Tim
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Time to get dirty.
You need to drop the pan and the tank. I am not sure of the specifics of your model and year trailer. Basically you need to disconnect the fill line and the line to the pump. There should be an over fill line and some wires as well. Drop the pan and remove the tank.

You may be able to see the leak if you just remove the pan. Make sure there is no water in the tank when you do this. At 8 pounds per gallon it can really add up.

If someone has more detail on this, please jump in...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8501 View Post
Richard & All: Yes, the pump is off, and the tank still leaks. Or at least the galvanized "pan" is where I see the water coming out, and it is at the lowest level of the pan. Since I have always been on city water before last week (bought AS 12/31/07), this is the first time I noticed an issue (tank went empty in 2 days). Best as I can see from a few feet away, it appears water has been coming out of this hole in the pan for some time now, as I might even see the brown/red of rust in the pan. What now?

Thanks, Tim
You may be seeing residual pooling of water running out of the trailer. Wait to see if it stops then put more water in the tank and see if it starts again.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
The drip has slowed way down, and the tank is far from empty. I can refill a gallon at a time to find out the exact amount of loss. Since I just calibrated the fresh water, it shows it down about 1/4 of 50 gallons (3/4 full). A very broad amount I know, but does this suggest the leak is in the upper part of the tank? Maybe one of the fill locations?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ts

Quote:
If someone has more detail on this, please jump in...
your tank may not be bad.

read this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...pair-5206.html

john