Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Well - I'm cornfused once again. I filled the FW tank at out last campground last weekend. The monitor showed the tank as 100% full. Stored it for the week and traveled up to Maine today at a boondocking site - no water hookups (thus the fill of the FW tank last weekend). Get in, set up, turn on monitor and FW tank is 50% full! :huh?:

The drain valve is closed and not dripping. Since its raining, I can't see if anything else is leaking.

Insights/suggestions welcome! Good news is the bathrooms and showers are a quick walk from our site so if we lose all our FW, we can still function with the key necessities! :-)

At the end of the day, I'm still camping in the airstream and that's better than any alternative :-)

Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Steve,

Did you fill to the monitor or wait 'til water came out the vent?
The slower I fill the fuller I get.

Maybe it was only 1/2 to start. When our panel 'sez full I can get a LOT more in.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I filled til it came back out the full tube THEN I looked at the monitor and it said it was full. :huh?: :-/

Still having a great time! :-)
Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Before heading to the scales today I filled my FW tank to the point of overflowing. I kept overfilling it because I wanted to be sure it wasn't just a bubble. Satisfied it was completely full, I used the meter inside to confirm 100% full FW (and nearly empty black and gray tanks as expected since we dumped tanks on our last trip).

Within 2-3 hours, the FW tank gauge read 50% when I put the trailer back in storage. Same level as when I filled on leaving a campground in preparation for a boondocking trip the following week.

Drain valve is closed. There must be a hole halfway up from the bottom of the tank somewhere.... Gonna have to talk with the dealer while still under warranty.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
If you do have a leak all that water must be going somewhere. There is no evidence of visible leaking under the trailer, like staining? Do the the gray and black tanks still show empty after the water tank shows 50%. Does the loss of water only happen when you are towing? If you park and fill the tank does it still show 50% after being stationery for 2-3 hours? Your water pump is off? Does it burp or come on intermittently indicating a water leak somewhere? Is there any evidence of water leaking under the hot water tank?

Kelvin
Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie
If you do have a leak all that water must be going somewhere. There is no evidence of visible leaking under the trailer, like staining? Do the the gray and black tanks still show empty after the water tank shows 50%. Does the loss of water only happen when you are towing? If you park and fill the tank does it still show 50% after being stationery for 2-3 hours? Your water pump is off? Does it burp or come on intermittently indicating a water leak somewhere? Is there any evidence of water leaking under the hot water tank?

Kelvin
We didn't notice any evidence last time as it was probably drained by the time we got to the storage lot. This time, I'm guessing most of it drained on the way to the scales.

Black/gray remain empty according to the meter.

I will have to fill and check while parked.

Water pump was off while parked in storage and while towing. No burping or intermittent turning on when boondocking last week but by the time we set up, we were at 50% already. I could test that too. Fill up, park with the pump on and see if I hear anything or see dripping underneath.

Not aware of anything with the hot water heater but will keep an eye out there too. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Got this pic tonight at the storage facility. I'm underneath the trailer curbside behind the tires and the camera is shooting upward. You can see a whitish looking stain the middle of the box - I think that's probably chlorinated water dripping down from somewhere above the frame bar you can see in the pic. It's hard to catch the angle but the biggest part of the white stain is on the bottom of the tank which is parallel to the ground. Just a weird angle where the camera was shooting from.

Definitely something I'll bring to the dealer for warranty service.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-992297004.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	188588
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Maybe you can fill the tank and take the trailer for a drive. After 1/2 an hour pull over and check underneath to see what is wet. Remove the access panel under the fridge behind the floor cabinet and it will expose the water pump and pipes and you should be able to see the water fill tube the floor opens up there to allow the water pump input pipe access from the water tank and to allow the fill tube to get to the water tank. You should be able to see the top of the water tank. See if you can feel water.

On my 2008 Classic 25 the aluminum box contains the gray and black holding tanks. The water tank doesn't protrude as far down and it is enclosed in a black plastic Rotocast liner.

From the hitch I have the Gray tank then the Black, axles then the Fresh water tank.

Kelvin
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie
...it will expose the water pump and pipes and you should be able to see the water fill tube the floor opens up there to allow the water pump input pipe access from the water tank and to allow the fill tube to get to the water tank. You should be able to see the top of the water tank. See if you can feel water.
Excellent - thanks much Kelvin!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Maybe the best bet is to fill the tank and drive it to your dealer. Give them a heads up and when you arrive hopefully there is evidence of leaking. Maybe when towing the water tank has a leak due the frame twisting on the roads and it opens up a crack momentarily.

As mentioned earlier in this thread my water tank is enclosed by a Rotocast plastic liner and there is styrofoam used for support between the liner and tank. There are weep holes in the bottom of the of this liner. If a good amount of water got in between the tank and the liner I would imagine it would take a while for the water to drain out the weep holes in the bottom of the liner. The holes are about 1/8" and there are not too many of them.

Good luck with this problem.

Kelvin
Old 06-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Another oddity - filled the FW tank last night at the campground. On a side note - DW had a great idea. We have an outdoor shower near all our utilities. She suggested just pulling the shower head off and filling fW from the outdoor shower hose while connected to city water. That worked perfectly!

We decided to fill up at night while camping so we could see whether it leaked while stationary or only when driving. I didn't see any leaks all night and it remained 100% full for several hours before we went to bed. In the morning, the gauge said it was 7/8 full - better than half but still must be a leak somewhere (didn't see anything underneath.

So I figured it would be at half when we parked in the storage lot. After about 90 minutes on the road, the FW gauge still read 7/8 full! Just no idea what's going on here. Will call the dealer. Have a growing list of warranty repair items for them.

Wide open to your thoughts!!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I had a water leak issue with my 2013 28' International. It was leaking water out of the bottom hole under the fresh water tank cover. The water level per the gauge would go from full to 7/8's of a tank over the course of a few hours. It ended up being the fresh water fill hose had a leak. Temp fix with JB Weld, off to the dealer to have the hose replaced on Thursday.