Old 11-29-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Fresh water tank leak.

I have a slow leak in my fresh water tank.The Airstream is not even a year old and I have an appointment to get it worked on.Before I do though is there anyone who know what could cause this by chance?Is there a common issue with this happening but not a huge deal?My leak is slow and it will only do it when I fill the fresh water tank just around the 1/4 tank fill or a bit above.Are there any sensors there or plugs of some sort.I only ask because I do not know but would like a heads up before I take it to the Dealer.Is there anything that could make this tank leak?I just need ideas.thanks all.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
1. Leak at the flex hose connecting filler tube to tank?
2. Sensor fitting not completely sealed or baumped during installation?
3. Drill mishap prepping rivet holes for belly wrap?
4. Crack in tank material not noticed during inspection and assembly?
5. Drill mishap drilling through flooring to install interior furniture?

There could be more, but that should be good start...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Under the curbside closet, you'll see a kind of box door below it, though it doesn't look like a door, it is. If you pull it open, you'll have access to see the fill area of the tank. Could be as indicated, simply a loose band clamp. If it's worse, you might see where the issue is. The space is large enough to stick your head in and if you guide a flashlight down the opening in the floor, following the fill tube, you'll see what I'm talkin' about.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
You know

I did that and looked in there,I did see a bit of water on the bottom of the box but it is very small.Not a whole lot of water leaking out so that is good.
I can still go camping and hook up to the water line so I do know it is the tank.Even Airstream said it was also cause everything works perfect.I see the hose to fill it up at I checked the seals on that as much as possible so no leaks were found there.
How easy is the black cover to take off.I was told by one dealer so far that it can take about six hours and they also said that they just did one a couple days ago.The way it sounded was like that was there first time really working on the same thing like I had.It made me feel a bit not as confident to take it to them and to search other dealers to see if they have more expierience on this matter.
I understand that there are a lot of possibilities that can make it leak but I would like to hear as much as possible please.Any help is something new learned for me and I do want to know as much as possible on this.Thanks Again.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Tank

I was looking under the Airstream this morning and it seems that you just unbolt the cover and it falls right out.Seems really easy to do but is there more to it than that.There are 2 drain holes and it seem some tubes could be connected to it other than that it seems fairly easy to do.I wonder why They told me it will take about 6 hours to take the cover off.Would anyone have an idea as to why.
Thanks.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I have a slow leak in my fresh water tank.The Airstream is not even a year old
This sounds like a warranty issue, I would let A/S worry about it.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
I know

The only thing with that is they are telling me it could take the day getting the cover off then if I need a new tank it will take up to 2 weeks to get that and then they have to install it.Seems pretty long for something like this.Plus I get to drive about 6 hours to my nearest dealer and then drive back home.Then I get to go back and pick it up when finished what if something goes wrong then and I have to drive back home.I guess that is the way life goes.Live and learn and roll with the punchs.Lot of fun thinking about this one.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've heard that it's a PITA getting that cover off. I really don't know. Like you, it seems to be a straight forward type thing, but given the fact it's a water issue and you are under warranty, keep in mind that anything you do that further damages it, who knows what warranty work will still be covered. Then again 6 hours is a might long way and if it's documented that you already had the problem........

I'd be real interested in knowing if all that you were told is true. I can't fathom a tank taking an additional 2 weeks to come from the factory if they are in stock...and how could they not be? They need them to build new ones and from what I heard the 25 SS is one of the top sellers, so stock might not be an issue.

I'd call the factory and ask them what they think. I've never had a lot of faith in most dealers so far......
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 11-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Hello Devoman-
Pulling your fresh water tank out of a brand new AS under warranty makes little sense. Like said, hey its under warranty. I can understand the time out and back but it is not so simple as removing the belly cover. The belly cover is hiding a bunch of mean and ugly stuff! Not only the drain valve for your water tand but also the line drain valves for the hot water heater lines. Those are the brass wing nut things. If you feel the need to really find out for yourself where your leak might be fill the fresh water tank halfway full, connect a compressor to your city water conection and bring the system pressure up to 75# PSI. DO NOT EXCEED 85#! The AS system is built to stand up to 90#. Once the system is pressurized you should be able to find your leak. If you can not find it or do not see directly where the leak is; let the dealer do their job!

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
hey all

I finally found the problem.I was looking inside the bootom of the cabinet under the slideout pantry and I got a good look.I felt around and touch some water again and kept feeling around.Well I found the leak.It is just under the sensor and on the tank itself.Is the dealer able to weld a really small hole or do they just replace the whole tank.It seems the weld itself is where the hole is.I will try and post a quick pic of it or give a rough drawing of it.Thanks

Old 12-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Ok

Alright...I thought it was a small hole just under the sensor but I went ahead and drained the tank as empty as I possibly could.I remember having this problem with my black tank and solved the problem.Well I was wrong about it having a hole just underneath it.It was the sensor all along.I pulled it out to check the taping on it and it was very thin.I taped it up really good and the leak stopped.I am so glad that was all it was.I was just thinking about them taking this tank out and even though they might have done it once you never know.
Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and cancel the oppointment.Wooohoooo

Old 12-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Good for you, Devoman! Grief and worry of dealership handling is gone, no leak now, and valuable Airstreaming time won't be hindered by pesky repairs. What could be better.

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Alright...I thought it was a small hole just under the sensor but I went ahead and drained the tank as empty as I possibly could.I remember having this problem with my black tank and solved the problem.Well I was wrong about it having a hole just underneath it.It was the sensor all along.I pulled it out to check the taping on it and it was very thin.I taped it up really good and the leak stopped.I am so glad that was all it was.I was just thinking about them taking this tank out and even though they might have done it once you never know.
Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and cancel the oppointment.Wooohoooo
Ahh, all sunshine and light!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If I recall the spot you are talking about, that's not a really large opening. If it is the spot I am thinking of, you sure have a lot of paitence.