Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Fresh water tank hose replacement. Help!

I am asking those smarter about things AS(most everybody here) than myself to see if I am right. Hairline cracks in the fill hose on my '79 Safari 23 have cause it to leak like a seive when filling the tank through the outside water fill port. The cracks are where the hose bends down to connect to the tank. So far, simple fix with hose clamps, a piece of 1 1/2" hose and a double barb. However, Long term, I would like to replace all of the hose with a single piece from the fill port to the tank. As near as I can tell I have two option. remove all the cabinets, sink, counter and who know what else to do it from the inside OR drill out the rivets on the locking flll port cover and pull the hose out from the outside, put new one on, reinstall and reconnect and finish with Olympic Rivets. Seems like no contest but what am I missing?

Greg
apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Two points to make: On my '73 the fill port was made of molded plasic, and I had cracks in the "funnel" portion of mine. You should look carefully to ensure you aren't getting leaks from there as well as from your dried hose. Also, the way my original fill port was installed, was from the inside, with the rivet heads going through the skin, and then through the plasic of the fill port. There was also a ton of sealant between the fill port and the inside of the skin. On my trailer removing the fill port from the outside would not have been possible.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Good advice. Although there are some differences, it looks like the barb at the molded plastic fill parts has to come out tp the inside. So I spliced a new piece of hose in and that psrtially solved the problem. Inspecting the molded plastic housing I did find a hairline crack along the bottom so I repaired that. Today I tested everything and the only leaking was from the tank plug( see my post a few days back on Safari tank plug problem) I contacted Airstream and got a part number but it isn't produced anymore. They referred me to a guy who had bought up all their supply and he is supposed to be sending me one. I also may buy a Peterson mechanical plug

Thanks
apltrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Another thing to consider, if you do get to the point of de-installing your fill port, is that this is a poor design at best. Rain water running down the outside fo the trailer will get into the unsealed door, and be funneled right into your fresh water tank. I was surprised to see how much water could accumulate in a good downpour. I replaced my whole assembly with the freakishly expensive SS freshwater fill door offered by AS for new trailers. So far so good.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote