Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #1
hutch309.2

1983 34' Limited
Amherstburg , Ontario
Fresh water tank elbow:

Hi:
I'm still trying to obtain a 90 degree 1 1/2 Elbow with 3/8 fine thread and 1/2 ID barb on the other end. Airstream no long stock them (gray) This is the reply I received from a Company that one of our forum member suggested. No very co-operative.

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr will only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Thank you,
David Ulam
McMaster-Carr Supply Co
330-995-5929
hutch309.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Not sure what you mean when you refer to 1-1/2 elbow??? What do you mean by '3/8 fine thread'???

Assuming you are talking about the water outlet fitting in the fresh water tank that hooks to the line that goes to the inlet side of the pump...

Water supply lines in US products use NPT, National Pipe Thread, sized fittings.

When I replaced the 90 degree elbow in our tank, I used a 3/8 NPT, Street Elbow, and then screwed in the hose barb fitting into the elbow...to accomplish the same thing as a one-piece fitting. These fittings are common place in the marine industry...perhaps you could find them a boat supply place if you can't locate at large hardware supply.

West Marine is on the Net, and probably ships up your way...check them out too.

Good luck on your search.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
hutch309.2

1983 34' Limited
Amherstburg , Ontario
Smile Fresh water tank elbow

Thanks for your reply Mexray

After exhausting all possible sources for a plastic elbow in Canada, I decided to use a short nipple and copper elbow, only because while rummaging through my junk box I found a straight 3/8 thread and 1/2" ID that did the job. My fresh water system is back in operation.

My next project is to replace the furnace, (motor burnt out) but that can wait till it gets cooler. No complaints since it has lasted 25 years and in that time only replace PCB with Dinosaur type 8 years ago.
Hutch309.2
hutch309.2 is offline   Reply With Quote