Old 07-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Fresh Water Tank

Hello all. I have a 1983 31' rear bath excella trailer. My situation is there is a small plate approximately "6x6" located at the corner of the metal pan on the tank. There is water coming out of there. Not much just a slow leak. I looked for a drain valve between the wheels and found none. When I took this plate off all I could see was Styrofoam insulation. Do I need to cut or remove this insulation to find the drain.Anyone else have my year trailer or know what I might be dealing with and where to start at? All help would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Louie

2008 27' Classic FB
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Send a message via Yahoo to bizetwo
Hi,
I'm not quite sure on your trailer. However, one that I had I removed the cover and removed some insulation then found a plug about 1-3/4" had to wrap with teflon tape. Reinstalled and no more leak

Louis

Old 07-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Louis I put some Teflon tape on the fitting. This slowed the link down then looked like it might have stopped leaking all together. So I filled the tank up. Then it started leaking out of the metal pan. This started after it got completely full. It also stopped after awhile and tank still registered full. I have no ideal what that is about do you? I took the plug back out. Because I am brave and wanted to flush it out good. I will reinstall the plug and fill to 3/4 full and see if I get the initial leak out around the metal that surrounds the water tank.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Troy , Ohio
We also have a 1983 31'Excella. There is no drain valve for the water tank; to empty the tank you have to pump the water out. From the picture in the service manual, there is another large drain plug in the water tank, with an access panel in the metal pan. We have exactly the same situation in that there is a leak from somewhere when the tank is full. We plan on eventually dropping the pan and seeing where the leak comes from. At that time, we will put a drain in the water tank. There is an existing port in the side of the tank, near where the water line to the pump comes out. We will put the drain in there.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Choctaw , Oklahoma
Mk thank you for your reply. Also for the information about the port. I have not looked that far. Did you have to take the bed apart to find the port? Is it visible from the outside or inside? I plan on filling mine about 3/4 of the way and seeing if it leaks at that point. Also did you notice another panel on the tank metal housing on the curb side of yours? I noticed when mine was completely full water would leak from this area and run across fairly fast then slow down after a bit.Wonder whats in there. Also at this point the tank still registered full. So I wonder if maybe I am over filling and it has a overflow that leaks out and flows out on top of the tank around the metal housing and out the inspection plates.Who would you purchase a tank from if you decided to drop yours? I will try to take a picture of mine and post it for others today, when I put the plug back in. I would appreciate it if you would keep me posted on what you find along the way. I will do like wise. I am also working on replacing or repairing the a/c at this time. We enjoy the airstream so much. We are planning on taking it up to Fowlers in October. Lord willing. To have some interior work done.Well got to get going .Lets keep in touch.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #6
Louie

2008 27' Classic FB
Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Send a message via Yahoo to bizetwo
Tom,
I took the plug out cleaned it well, dried it. Then I bought some of the heavy duty teflon tape. Wraped it several times,it the direction of the plug being inserted. This seemed to do it for me. It never leaked after.
Louis