Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1982 27' International
Santa Rosa , California
Fresh water system

Hi. Im trying to figure out what is going on. I am afraid I damaged my system somehow. I may have accidentally turned on the pump while hooked up to city water. When I turn on my water pump for water the pump itself never stops pumping. I turn on the faucet it pumps faster and the water works fine. Also I found that it seems my holding tank is leaking out my city hose bib? Any ideas?
airtwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Sounds like your check valve on your pump is fouled or stuck open.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
For a quick confirmation get a male hosethread brass plug (you may have to buy a male hose thread with a nipple and a cap and cap off your city water connection. If this temporary solution stops the problem your check valve needs attention.
Dan
Old 05-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1982 27' International
Santa Rosa , California
Where is the best place to buy a new check valve?
Old 05-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Home Depot should have them. Make sure you get the proper connectors. Deoending on where it is you may need Shark bite or Pex. For just several connections I would use the Shark Bites.. I could give you better info if you could post a pic.

DAN
Old 05-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1982 27' International
Santa Rosa , California
How many check valves are there? I replaced the one coming in from the city water but I noticed there may be an additional one in line with my pump. The problem I am having now is my pump slows down when I turn off a faucet but it never stops like it used too. Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
It will not damage your water system to have the water pump on while you use city water...it may, in fact improve water pressure, but it also means you are taking water out of the fresh water tank as well. When the water pump runs despite all the facets being closed, it indicates there is a bad check vvalve or a leak somewhere in the system...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does your fresh water tank have water in it? If so, you could be sucking air on the input side of the pump. Pin holes in the line, leaks at the fittings.
The check valve in the pump may be faulty, but it would not affect the pumps operation. The purpose of the check valve is to prevent the flow of city water into the fresh water tank back thru the pump.
If the pump continues to run, you may have a leak on the discharge side of the pump.
With the city water off and the pump running. Are you getting air thru the faucet?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1982 27' International
Santa Rosa , California
I have water at all locations when I turn the pump on with the city not hooked up. The pressure is higher when I first open the faucet and fades lower after a bit. I maintain water pressure just fine. Once the faucet is turned off the pump slows way down but never turns off. I just finished replacing the hot water heater. It was doing this prior to the changeout. I noticed the wiring to the pump gets pretty hot after running a while.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does the pump cycle on and off? If it does not shut off and there is no air in the water coming out of the faucets. My guess is that you have a leak. It must be pretty significant if the pump continues to run.
Have you run the hot water enough to make sure the water heater tank is full?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote