Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
Fresh water problem

I think I need to replace the shore water line on my 74 31'. I have a leak somewhere under the floor of the kitchen. I can't find the leak. I don't have the funds or place to do a lift off and replace. Has anyone anyone done a reroute with pex? Is the a great way to find the leak? Only have a couple of weeks before kids camp weekend and need some experience and encouragement.
Tdcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Make up an adapter for the water supply like the one in the picture or buy one and purge the water out of the system with the adapter and then just apply a regulated 30 pounds pressure to the system and listen for the leak. If a helper can not hold the air hose steady on the adapter while you listen make a permanent connection to supply the air.

If the leak is in the kitchen area all piping should be above the floor.

You can couple copper and pex directly together as long as the section of copper pipe is ROUND. Any straight section of copper should still be round.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winterizer.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	163174  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
There should not be any water lines under the floor. ( not sure about all drain lines though)

Often after a rain water will collect and drip out of the underbelly which could make you think you have a leak.

Pressurizing with air is a good test. When running on the water pump does it cycle a lot when not using water?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Yukon , Oklahoma
My water comes in along the street side goes above floor thru closet to pantry then goes below to cross under the walkway. I know it is not rain as it refuses to rain here and happened when I connected the water to clean. I know it is not my tank as it is holding water according to my gauge.
Tdcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2014 28' Flying Cloud
1992 34' Excella
. , Maine
In my 76 Sovereign, I had a leak in what sounds like roughly the same area you do. I cut the copper line under the pantry and replaced the piece which goes under the kitchen floor (which was leaking) with a piece of PEX and then reconnected it to the copper under the sink. It was supposed to be a "temporary" fix just to get through a couple of camping trips- a few years later it was still working great (we all know how that goes!). Good luck....
Jared129 is offline   Reply With Quote