Old 03-13-2019, 04:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sometime , Alabama
Fresh Water Hose and Sewer Hose Length Dilemma

For you experienced travelers out there...

Please let me know what length fresh water hoses and sewer hoses that you've learned to carry based on the variety of campsite setups that you've experienced.

I'm wondering if a 25' plus a 35' would cover most situations.
Maybe you have learned that something different works better?

Thanks!

bigcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I think my water hose is 25 feet, what ever the "standard white drinking hose" is and I've never had a campsite where I could not reach the spigot. I do carry an extra length of sewer hose. On several occasions I have had to use it because for some reason the sewer pipe would be way away from the pad. A second water hose would not be a bad idea.
I also carry a Y-connector for the water hose spigot. Two reasons, first I can hook a garden hose up to wash off bikes without disconnecting the trailer and secondly, I can bleed pressure out of the water hose before disconnecting it and thereby not getting sprayed with water (most campgrounds around here have standard spigots and not the newer kind that bleed off the pressure).

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My water hose is a 25' collapsable. But I still carry a 50' white hose in the truck toolbox. I use the Zero-G hose.
It's like a wet noodle when empty, then firms up when under pressure. The fittings are top notch.

I bought the 20' sewer hose that comes in two sections. I find most campgrounds only need 10'. If I need more, I'll attach the second half. For years I carried a 15' section and never wished for longer.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:21 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
we carry three 25' water supply hoses. we have been a many campgrounds over the years. We have almost 2,000 nights of Airstream camping experience. Over 90% of the time, one hose does the trick. We occasionally use two of the hoses. On about a half dozen occasions over the years we have had to use all three hoses.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:10 AM   #5
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
We also carry two 25’s in case we need extra length. Also a Y connector, short hose section and sprayer for rinsing.
Don’t forget a water pressure regulator! Although many campgrounds have them, and AS’s May or May not have them internally installed, you should always use one to avoid over-pressure issues.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've never needed more than a 25' water hose wherever I have gone; however, friends camping with me somehow needed an extra length of hose so I let them borrow my extra 25' hose I keep as a spare. I also have a 10' hose with a sprayer I connect to a hose Y for spraying off sand or dirt near the water spigot side of the camper. On sewer hoses, I use a 15' which has worked in all cases but one and then I had an extra 10' section I had to use. Hope this helps

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We carry a 25', a 50' and a 4'. We also have a couple of Y's, pressure regulator and back flow valves. Over the years we have acquired and used all of these from time to time.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Otis Orchards , Washington
Generally a 25 foot hose will handle most campsites. We carry a total of 100 feet of fresh water hose for when we camp at Forest Service campsites and standpipes are random. That way we can reach the water pipe and fill our fresh water tank. We also carry a “water thief” because often the faucets are not threaded. Also a “y” valve and an anti-siphon (backflow) device. We also carry an in-line water filter.
Wstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
We carry two 25' fresh water & two 10' sewer hoses. On occasion we need all for a connection. Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcountry View Post
For you experienced travelers out there...

Please let me know what length fresh water hoses and sewer hoses that you've learned to carry based on the variety of campsite setups that you've experienced.

I'm wondering if a 25' plus a 35' would cover most situations.
Maybe you have learned that something different works better?

Thanks!
I carry three 25ft fresh water hose. Call it A, B and C for this thread.

A is my primary
B is my secondary in case my primary breaks OR if I need to extend it.
C is my OH $hit, I need it.

I do the same for my sewer hose. I carry three 10ft section. Same use as above.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
25' and 35' water hoses with back flow preventer and pressure regulator Y, as well as valved and full-flow Ys for daisy-chained rally camping. Two 20' sewer hoses. I've used them all at various times.

Perhaps more important is the 30' 30 amp extension cable.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
My water hose is a 25' collapsable. But I still carry a 50' white hose in the truck toolbox. I use the Zero-G hose.
It's like a wet noodle when empty, then firms up when under pressure. The fittings are top notch.

I bought the 20' sewer hose that comes in two sections. I find most campgrounds only need 10'. If I need more, I'll attach the second half. For years I carried a 15' section and never wished for longer.
I've read bad reviews about this Zero G hose from the connections being cheap and breaking. How long have you had yours? I really would like something like this house that's easier to store than the standard white hoses. Curious if you think it will hold up. Thanks!
wareaglewalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We carry two 25' white water hoses with a camco blue filter in the middle. I just automatically connect that way when we need water, although we travel with a full fresh tank and many nights I don't connect to the spigot at all. I replace the filter every spring, but the hoses every other year.

I carry a 50' collapsible utility hose in the bumper box. It's used for everything from washing the dog, to washing the trailer to sewer flushing. I throw it out and replace it every spring.

We carry two 10' stinky slinky sections. I usually only need one since we usually camp at parks w/o full hookups and most dump stations work best with 10'. I have not had to replace that setup yet. Maybe this is the year since they are now 4 years old.

I think you forgot about one extension that is vital to us. We can usually work around or do without water and sewer extensions. However, we have had a few occasions where we needed a 30 amp extension cord. We carry a 25'. If you live or travel in the south, that can be a life saver on a night when you expect power for AC but find the pedestal is more that 25' from your trailer's closest connection.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #14
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Water hoses: Buy two 25' hoses and a set of male/female connectors and make a 15' and a 10' hose. At most park connections the 10' will suffice.
Electrical: Look for 10',15', and 25' or 30' ready made cable. You may have to change the ends to match your RV.
Sewer hose: Use a twenty foot if that length will fit you holder. If nor get two shorter hoses and a male/female connector.
If you have a compost toilet just buy two cheap grey water hoses and cut one for 10' to reach the dump or the nearest flower bed.
At 90% of the stops you will only need the 10' lengths and they sure are less cumbersome.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote