Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Birmingham , Alabama
Fresh Water Fill Fittings

Hi folks,

I'm planning for my new fresh water tank install. It's a clean slate and the only original part being reused is the aluminum fill neck and cap. This part comes into the tank area with a 1.5 OD and at a sharp downward angle. My new tank has 1.25 OD inlet. So I have to pick hose and fittings. At the big box store, they have two types of hose: clear smooth rubber and another black rubber for pools that looks like vacuum cleaner hose. I was leaning towards the black hose for it's bendability but it may have a "hose taste".

As for fittings, I was going to cobble something up with PVC. There has to be better choices for hose fittings somewhere. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Merry Christmas all,

Cosmos
gwchitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
If this is for the water fill, you might want to get the proper hose that is approved for potable water....it is a green and white stripe flexible hose that is usually available on-line or at RV stores...

This one place.....http://www.folandsales.com/catalog.a...showprevnext=1
Old 12-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had trouble plumbing the inlet on my TW. The pipe on the trailer is 1 1/2 and the tank was 1.25. After trying several options, I bought a piece of hose at HD used for swimming pool skimmers and vacs. It fit the plastic water tank neck just right. I put a very short split in the end for the filler neck and then put the hose end in boiling water for a few minutes, ran outside and slipped in on the filler neck. Once cool I put a hose clamp on it and it works great.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Cosmos,
I replaced the fill hose on my '89 Excella w/ the green/white hose mentioned by Dwight. PO had black sump pump-looking hose that cracked. I tried the clear hose from Ace. It was too stiff. I also used PVC fittings where there was a 90* bend and double clamped. It wasn't a perfect fit, but works OK for this app. Good luck
Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote