Old 06-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Fresh water drain valves

Here's my question. I'm in the process of chasing down a leak that caused floor rot in my 19' Bambi. While poking around I turned the drain valves and noticed the water just dribbled out oof the water tank. Should these not be "gushing" out to the ground? Also I notice there is no way to open the water tank to assist getting air into the tank as it drains. On my boat all three water tanks had inspection ports. Nothing on the AS. One last thing while I am on my rant I also noticed after I opened the faucets to aid in draining the tank it leaves about an inch of water on the bottom. How do you get that out when winterising? Hope this makes sense........ Thanks, Woody

amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Airstream has been like that since the dark ages. Little drain valves, plastic and average RV quality. No way to clean them, repair them, or make them drain faster.

Now, in defense of AS, draining the fresh water tank is usually done just fine by running the pump until it sucks air. There may be an inch of water in the tank, but even frozen will cause no problems.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Unless you are in a rush to drain the tank I see no reason to do anything else but open the tiny drain valve and let err drip. I park on a gravel drive so it just soaks in. Freezing only becomes a problem with expansion in a confined area ie. a full tank, water line or hose etc. . A little left in a tank will have plenty of expansion room.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
When I open the white plastic drain valve on my 2002 ASCL 31' the fresh water gushes out, and will drain all 54 gallons in ~1 hour; seems like something is wrong with your setup.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Mine piddles out somewhat slowly, but the tank is still empty in an hour and a half...
2013 Classic 30 Limited
2007 Silver Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 5.7 iForce
2006 Vivid Black Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Thanks all. I think I'm with WITHIDL there is something wrong with all of the set ups but his. I feel it should be draining with gusto.......
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
More on the drain valves and water tank

Well, I just pulled the drain valves to see what was going on. There was crapola in there alright. Would seem to explain why so slow to drain the tank. I also saw some black stuff in the tank itself. For me, it will be cutting into the top and installing an inspection port. How else are you ever going to clean out the tank? I want that stuff gone.............
Old 06-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master
We're talking fresh water tanks....I think

A good way to clean a fresh water tank is to fill about half way, drive around some hilly and curvy roads, then drain the tank. Then repeat the process, this time with about a pint of bleach, and a full tank, after driving around, let the water and bleach sit for a few days, then empty the tank. Finally fill the tank with water and open all faucets, and run it dry using the pump, not hooked up to city water. Probably do the last step twice. I call it shocking the system. My friend does it every year, but it's smart to do it when you first get a used trailer.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Water tank

Well it's done. Bought an inspection port today and installed it. It is a 4" unit and bedded with Life Caulk. It's PERFECT! Stuck my pressure washer hose in there this afternoon and cleaned the inside. Now resting on my patio with water and bleach. Can't believe that I actually made two pots of coffee with the water from there and am not glowing in the dark. Drain valves are also cleaned out and should drain much faster.