Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Angry fresh water drain '81 Excella II

We have an '81 Excella II. The Owner's manual states that to empty the tank you have to open a faucet and run the pump. This seems to be a dumb way to drain 50 gallons. I can't believe that a quality unit like an Airstream would not have a petcock to drain the tank, as every automobile since 1912 has provided.
Does anyone know of a kit to install a petcock to drain the fresh water tank?
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

My Excella manual says that you can pump out the tank via a faucet, but there are also two drains. One is a plastic petcock on the sidewalk side behind the front wheel. The plastic petcock often breaks off, and the hole may have been blanked over. Also, there is an aluminum inspection hatch under the tank near the petcock. The hatch is secured by about 6 self-tapping screws. You will have to slide under the trailer to get at these. Once the plate is removed, a drain plug is revealed. This can be removed using a large hex key, or the head of a suitably sized bolt. Tighten two nuts against each other on the threads of the bolt to enable the bolt to be turned with a wrench. Your trailer may differ, of course. Replacement petcocks are available from RV dealers, including on-line.
Nick.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

You will find John HD's typically excellent photos and description of the drain plug and petcock here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...pair-5206.html

Nick.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
The fresh water tank on my much smaller trailer has two fittings. One fitting goes to the pump and the other goes to the drain valve. My tank is in the front of the trailer above the floor.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Richmond , Texas
Thanks, Guys, for the info, but back in '81 they did not provide petcocks on the side of the tank. there are two inspection plates on the bottom. I removed one and can see a large plug, but I did not attempt to remove it.
Guess I will have to stick with pumping out the stale water...

Bob S.
1981 Excella II '8181', 2001 F250 crew w/7.3, Pullrite hitch
ole81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole8
I removed one and can see a large plug, but I did not attempt to remove it.
Why not? It takes only half a minute, drains more effectively than the pump, avoids wear in the pump, and the tank can be cleaned and de-sanitized more efficiently. Some nasty stuff can hide in the bottom of that tank, and the pump won't get it out.
Nick.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1981 27' Excella II
Lynnwood , Washington
I have a 81 excella II and it does have a street side drain. It wasn't working so I took the inspection plate off to reviel a kinked hose. I'm not sure if the PO installed it after the fact but there is a bung on the side of the tank to install a fitting (just below and aft of the pump suction). The drain valve doesn't line up to the fitting so I have to re-install the hose so it doesn't kink.

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Ifihadtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Gravity Drain

I am just starting to replace the supply side. I did not have a gravity drain in the original set up.

When I put a new line to the tank I also put a two way valve on that line a few inches away on the same level as the tank outlet. I ran the second line down through the base. All I have to do for the tank is switch the tow way so it will flow out instead of on line. I will also put a power darin in when I get that far by setting another valve after my pump and a check valve. That should alow for the pump to also drain the tank and if I put a shut off between the two way and the check valve I should also be able to use it as a pressure drain when I charge the system with air.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
A drain at the outer skin of the trailer is that much more vulnerable to freeze damage. Perhaps this is why such a basic-seeming item was not included. A freeze-resistant design would have the valve inside the skin at the tank, with a plastic drain tube only leading to the outside.

-SilverSausage

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote