Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #1

Fresh Water All Over

I just purchased a 2002 22' CCD (like new), except when I filled the fresh water tank through the filler tube, I never got a burp back at the filler and water was running under the unit on the driveway. What a disapointment!
This 2002 has belly pans installed (retro). What should it do? Spit back at the fill/small vent or is there a gooseneck on the tank for the overflow. How many connections are actually on the tank? Are the tanks polypropylene (like marine tanks) or fiberglass? I can't believe AS would just let the water run out and over everthing. Please help, I'm brand new at this!

THERE ARE THREE GATES ONE MUST PASS THROUGH BEFORE SAYING A WORD. 1) IT MUST BE TRUTHFUL! 2) IT MUST BE NECESSARY!! 3) IT MUST BE KIND!!!
TOASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Fresh Water All Over

Greetings TOASTER!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstream ownership!

Since the coach is new to you, I suspect that it may still be winterized. There are low-point drains as well as a fresh water tank drain that exit through the coach's floor. When the fresh water tank is filled, water may exit from any of these points if the valves aren't closed. Your Owners' Manual should indicate where the fresh water tank drain valve can be found as well as the low-point drain valves.

Typically, when all of the low-point drains and fresh water tank drains are closed, water will exit from the vent tube when the fresh water tank is filled.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 12:46 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Toaster, there should be a nylon fresh water drain valve under the trailer which was probably left open. While I'm not sure of the postition of your fresh water tank, in the larger trailers the valve is usually on the street side and is hidden by the front tire. You normally have to access the valve between the tandem axles. Keep in mind that there also may be two other valves that are brass in color that are near the fresh water drain valve. Those are the low water drain points, used to drain water from the plumbing system. Once you get the water system under pressure you may also see water coming from them if they are not closed. Sometimes folks winterizing will also leave the plug out of the water heater. I found that out this spring when I pressurized my trailer for the first time.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 04:00 PM   #4

Thank you all for the suggestions. The low point bleeds are in front of the main drain valve and are closed. Also, the larger plastic main tank drain valve is closed as well. It is almost like the outer aluminum box is filling with water and over flowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Toaster, there should be a nylon fresh water drain valve under the trailer which was probably left open. While I'm not sure of the postition of your fresh water tank, in the larger trailers the valve is usually on the street side and is hidden by the front tire. You normally have to access the valve between the tandem axles. Keep in mind that there also may be two other valves that are brass in color that are near the fresh water drain valve. Those are the low water drain points, used to drain water from the plumbing system. Once you get the water system under pressure you may also see water coming from them if they are not closed. Sometimes folks winterizing will also leave the plug out of the water heater. I found that out this spring when I pressurized my trailer for the first time.

Jack

THERE ARE THREE GATES ONE MUST PASS THROUGH BEFORE SAYING A WORD. 1) IT MUST BE TRUTHFUL! 2) IT MUST BE NECESSARY!! 3) IT MUST BE KIND!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
toaster

there is also a 1 1/2" pipe plug in the bottom of the tank.

someone could have removed it to winterize the trailer. look for a "patch" in the sheet metal. it should be under that.

john
Old 11-09-2004, 09:44 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One other possiblity is that the filler hose has become disconnected from the tank or is not clamped tightly to the tank.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 03:54 PM   #7

Thank you again Kevin, Jack and Jonh !!! I took the unit to DonMar AS on I-95 in SC. Don and Mary's son Charles dropped the tank and found that when the factory was putting in the floor, they drillled throught the frame into the top of the tank. He "poly" welded the hole and sealed the leak.

Now water spits back when you overfill it. Even a bubble or two comes out of the screened 1/2" vent!!! We believe I was the first to fill the water tank.

They are a great service center if you are in the South East!!!!

This is such a great web site!!!