Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Nederland , Colorado
freezing temp, water not going into fresh tank

Hello and thanks in advance for any help. This is my first post, and there are gonna be some stupid questions, at least for a while.

I am trying to fill my fresh water tank for the first time. I put the hose in but the water seems to mostly (or completely, hard to tell) spit back at me. When I started this, the tank was registering 0% full. It immediately went up to 6% full, but it has stopped there, and there is lots of water squirting all over the ground.

Did I mention it's 15° f here??

Thanks,
Darryl
dpurpose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Nederland , Colorado
Update: Fresh water tank is 13% but...

but water is still gushing out of the tank where the hose goes in, as if it is full.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
It sounds like you have a freeze blockage. Is the trailer currently being heated by the furnace? That should keep things from freezing up. If not heated--stop!

If heated--then look wherever the water pump area is located inside, and have a look at the fresh water fill hose going down into the tank and try to find what the issue is. Maybe a kinked hose?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Nederland , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
It sounds like you have a freeze blockage. Is the trailer currently being heated by the furnace? That should keep things from freezing up. If not heated--stop!

If heated--then look wherever the water pump area is located inside, and have a look at the fresh water fill hose going down into the tank and try to find what the issue is. Maybe a kinked hose?
Thank you!
Trailer is definitely heated by furnace and hot.
Update: Fresh water tank now at 19% (yay!) but water is still squirting back out a LOT, almost as if none is going in. But we know some is going in because the level is rising.

I wonder if there was a start of a freeze and it is blocked a bit by some ice.

Unfortunately I do not even know where the water pump is located (I am new to this!)

Thanks,
Darryl
Old 12-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Nederland , Colorado
now 31%! Fresh Water heater switch is on but...

...but red light on switch is still shining.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is unlikely the fill tube with have a trap in it the could stop, if frozen, fill to the tank. The vent line from the tank is a much smaller hose and may have a trap that could be frozen. Also the vent usually has a stopper in it at the fill point. Make sure that stopper is removed or the tank will be pressurized and back flow to the fill port.

At 15 degrees am not sure why you would want to put water on. Even if you are heating the rig I doubt it will keep the tank from freezing at that temperature. Maybe if you are leaving for warmer weather as soon as the tank is full you might make it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Try heating a pot full of water and pour it down the tank fill. If there is a ice blockage hot water should take care of it. I will also caution that you could freeze and crack the tank. My tank is above the floor under the front gaucho. In cold weather I always pull out the drawer closest to the heat register, so the warm air keeps the tank from freezing. I also keep the bathroom cabinet door open to keep the shower lines from freezing.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Nederland , Colorado
Fresh water tank is now 100%, but the light on the fresh water tank heater switch is Red, indicating a problem...

I'm confused about some of the warnings. There is a fresh water tank heater on this 2016 Bambi. If that is on, should I worry about the tank freezing? It is supposed to be 4 seasons... am I too optimistic?

Thanks,
Darryl
Old 12-02-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
My tank has no heater, hence the warning....
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpurpose1 View Post
...but red light on switch is still shining.
If the red light is on, then the water heater is not on. The red light comes on only briefly (like a second) when you turn it on. It goes of when the heater is energized (if plugged in to shore power--are you?) or when ignited is using propane. Did you turn on the water heater switch for propane, or electric?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Fresh water tank is now 100%, but the light on the fresh water tank heater switch is Red, indicating a problem...

I'm confused about some of the warnings. There is a fresh water tank heater on this 2016 Bambi. If that is on, should I worry about the tank freezing? It is supposed to be 4 seasons... am I too optimistic?

Thanks,
Darryl
Ok so the FC 20 has individually switched heaters for the fresh, grey and black tanks. I am guessing that unlike the furnace switch, the red light for the tank heater will stay on.

Hopefully you are plugged in otherwise that heater will drain the batteries, probably in just a few hours.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Did I mention it's 15° f here??
. . .
There is no such thing as a four seasons Airstream!

If the outside temp is constantly well below freezing [15 F at midday?] you must do your best to empty the plumbing lines, pump, fresh water tank, and so forth. The tank heaters are intended to prevent freeze-ups only on an intermittent basis, and are not designed for weather which is below freezing constantly. Not to mention that various plumbing lines in the FC20 (notably in the rear storage area) are totally exposed to the cold air.

With an outside temperature of 15 F, you are WAY beyond the design parameters of your trailer's ability to withstand freeze-ups, I am sorry to say, and you may have already frozen and burst a number of pipes, the pump, and perhaps tanks, water heaters, and so forth.

How full are your black and grey water holding tanks?

Hope I am wrong!

Peter

PS -- The water pump is under the drawer which is under the propane oven/cooktop, or under the microwave/convection oven down there if that is what you have. At least that is where our 2014 FC20 pump is. Yours should be nearby IMO. Your owners manual will have details on this.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Ok so the FC 20 has individually switched heaters for the fresh, grey and black tanks. I am guessing that unlike the furnace switch, the red light for the tank heater will stay on.

Hopefully you are plugged in otherwise that heater will drain the batteries, probably in just a few hours.
I meant to say water heater switch, not furnace!
Old 12-03-2016, 04:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
For your research Darryl about others who have faced similar issues about winter trailer use in Colorado, here are a number of threads to check out:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...ter&gsc.page=1

This one is fairly recent and includes some practical tips:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...er-155835.html

However, this post offers some caution as well: [click on arrow to go to that Post]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Modern Airstreams are designed and built for recreational travel. They are not 4 season vehicles for winter housing. There are mobile homes specifically designed for that kid of useage. Two inch PE foam insulation partially buried around the trailer is the best solution to reduce the cooling under the trailer and will help to protect the three tanks. A bigger dehumidifier is also a must have.
I hope you were able to avoid any freeze-ups, if this is what you meant in your other thread. ["When I first posted this, I had some specific problems that have been solved."]

Good luck!

Cheers,

Peter

PS -- The other thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...do-160105.html
Old 12-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My Airstream is a PIA to fill the water tank. Always has been. You have to turn the supply hose on low, then pull it out every few minutes to 'gurgle'. I just assumed it was normal. If I blast water into it, it blows back out with a vengeance and you get wet.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:33 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Smile Airstream or Lance for full timing

Hi everyone,

I am a complete newbie to rv life. I have put a deposit on a 2017 19c international Serenity with RV One dealership Albany NY.

I fell in love with AIRSTREAM after looking at some other standard RV trailers although the cost is almost triple.

My plan is to use the trailer for work in CT 4 days a week and drive it back to Haines Falls NY on the weekends where I will be living at Peace village Retreat Center. This seems a cheeper option for seasonal and monthly camping fees.

Most of the time I will be on my own in the trailer with my partner joing me occasionally.

So questions are;

1. Will the 19c be big enough? I am also considering the 23D MODEL. My TV is a 2015 Grand Jeep Cherokee Overland tow rating 6200lbs.
2. Can AIRSTREAM handle full time living in the North East?
3. Should I opt for a 4 season trailer like Lance? It is not easy to settle for other makes once I stepped into an AIRSTREAM.
4. Are there companies that will modify an AIRSTREAM for 4 season use.

I am from the U.K. Originally and would love to tour the whole country eventually in an AIRSTREAM.
PTAHERNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I have lived in an Airstream in really cold weather and it's not something I would recommend! It's a constant struggle to keep it from freezing and if the electricity were to go off for a day you will be really sorry! I would definitely recommend another brand for freezing weather! At the very least seal off the underneath with hay bales or Styrofoam panels. Insulate and heat the water and drain lines also.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Did you get to the bottom of this and prevent any freeze-ups, Darryl?

Hope so!

Quote:

Thanks,
Darryl